Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
London UK, Crossrail built by Bombardier
Article

[Image: Crossrail_3505784b.jpg]

TFL has unveiled designs for the new Crossrail trains due to enter service from May 2017.

Constructed by Bombardier, each train be will be one and a half times longer than the longest Tube, with nine walk-through carriages providing space for 1,500 passengers, and four dedicated wheelchair spaces.With just 50 seats per carriage, 1,050 of those 1,500 potential passengers would have to stand.

The last sentence is a bit misleading the way it's written. Sure, it's a true statement - but it's no different than any other subway/metro/commuter type vehicle. You can have 4 people per square metre standing, or about 1/4 of that sitting. Toronto's subway trains have about 50 seats per car (so 300 seats per train), but can hold over 1800 people in crush loading.
Crossrail's Trains Make A Debut
(12-02-2015, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: The last sentence is a bit misleading the way it's written.  Sure, it's a true statement - but it's no different than any other subway/metro/commuter type vehicle.  You can have 4 people per square metre standing, or about 1/4 of that sitting.  Toronto's subway trains have about 50 seats per car (so 300 seats per train), but can hold over 1800 people in crush loading.

This is true, but crossrail has been described less as a subway and more heavy rail, headways on the farthest stations may only be every 1/2 hour for example.

Of course, the crush capacity is likely only to be needed on the inner areas where travel times are shorter and trains are more frequent.

It is different from typical commuter trains where more frequently most people have a seat.
(07-29-2016, 12:13 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: Crossrail's Trains Make A Debut

Man, did those ever turn out great. An excellent combination: The UK has always had an excellent taste for modern design, and Bombardier's design language resulted in the perfect marriage.

This project has been under construction for so long (it was in progress when we were there in 2010), that I'd actually forgotten all about it.
I've taken a particular interest in this one purely from its scale and ambition. You can look up a BBC documentary called "The Fifteen Billion Pound Railway" to see some of the challenges involved (precision engineering, excavating plague pits, the effect of vibration and subsidence on heritage buildings, etc).
As soon as I'm finished up the other UK Rail documentary series' I have in my queue, I'll check this out - thanks!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »