Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
A lot of newer developments seem to have similar lights. They especially like big rows of them running along entrance boulevards. It certainly looks pretty ugly in contrast to the rest of the streetlights now.

(10-30-2017, 04:14 PM)KevinT Wrote: [quote pid='44233' dateline='1509233793']
Yep, I live in Doon South and our neighbourhood has these ghastly faux-antique things that spill light everywhere:

Google Maps: Thomas Slee Street View

They're not being touched according to the GIS map.   Sad

[/quote]

Holy moly, that really is ugly.
Why do these designers who choose these things not seem to realize it’s the 21st Century?
(10-30-2017, 04:14 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(10-28-2017, 07:36 PM)JoeKW Wrote: Anything that's not the standard cobra-head fixture isn't being changed. I'm sure there are other reasons too.

Yep, I live in Doon South and our neighbourhood has these ghastly faux-antique things that spill light everywhere:

Google Maps: Thomas Slee Street View

They're not being touched according to the GIS map.   Sad

There are similarly ugly and light polluting fixtures in and around Uptown that are likely not going to be upgraded either. Sad
I remember when those fixtures were installed in the park behind our place. It was literally like a police helicopter search light was beaming in - even more so in winter with fresh snow on the ground. I don't know if it has made the park safer, but definitely gave a boost to the local window coverings market.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Can you toss an inverted garbage can over it?!
(10-31-2017, 07:29 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I remember when those fixtures were installed in the park behind our place. It was literally like a police helicopter search light was beaming in - even more so in winter with fresh snow on the ground. I don't know if it has made the park safer, but definitely gave a boost to the local window coverings market.

I recall when they were installed when we lived at the Seagram Lofts. One of our poor neighbours had one installed right outside their main window. It was like mid-afternoon in their living room area at midnight! Thankfully the city installed a shield on the light after some complaints, but they really are excessive in terms of light spillage.

Not where I am - went from high noon to complete darkness in my bedroom. I couldn't be happier.

However, who does one complain to if there is a problem?
(11-03-2017, 12:32 PM)razzie13 Wrote: Not where I am - went from high noon to complete darkness in my bedroom. I couldn't be happier.

However, who does one complain to if there is a problem?

I think people are talking about awful lights like this one, not the new LED lights.

For normal streetlight problems you would contact the hydro company. I don't know what type of problem you are thinking of.
(10-31-2017, 08:39 PM)Canard Wrote: Can you toss an inverted garbage can over it?!

Now *that* would be an avant-garde look! Tongue
I just watched them replace the fixture in front of my house; the entire process took less than 3 minutes start to finish!
Did anyone notice these LEDS burn out quickly? In the Homer-Watson Stirling area, about 4 burnt out already...in what, 4 weeks?? Or is it a software issue?
I guess faulty units have a tendency to fail early?

I wouldn't assume it's dead just because it's off.
(11-22-2017, 04:32 PM)KevinL Wrote: I guess faulty units have a tendency to fail early?

Unsure if there would be a point of having random lights turned off.

Where I work we spent $100G converting everything to LED. Supposed to pay for itself with a few years, but already the lights are burning out at a quicker pace than the old fluorescent and realizing now it won't pay for itself, ever.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »