Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
I found an article in The Record:

It doesn't exactly say anything about dimming when there is no motion nearby, although it does say

Quote:The smart system will also allow the city to control every single street light individually, so that a light can be dimmed if it's shining more brightly than needed, saving another 15 per cent in energy costs.

which could be the same thing.

This article has more information, and talks about Waterloo's decision to not implement narrowband. What I got from reading it is that Waterloo is waiting for broadband, although no decision was made at the time.

Quote:The LED lights are expected to lose brightness at a rate of about two per cent each year and get duller over time. With the narrowband controls, city staff said they could reduce energy to the light to 70 per cent at installation and increase by two per cent each year to compensate for loss and save energy until the lights reach 70 per cent naturally.

Neat.

I wonder how they'll deal with citizens complaining to have lights dimmed or brightened.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellig...t_lighting
I was out driving early this morning and it was quite interesting to see the difference in a section of Fischer-Hallman by Keats Way where only one side of the road has been replaced.

[Image: hLEdAmi.png]
Are the City of Waterloo and the Region of Waterloo using different lights? I'm not sure if it's a context thing, but the lights along Fischer-Hallman look different than those on the side streets.

On a related note, I notice that the shadows and light pools now have this neat grid pattern to them.
There will be a number of different types of heads with varied pattern and light output to satisfy the different road configurations. There were at least 15-20 different configurations that the manufacturers had to provide simulations for during the pre-qualification phase. Regional road 2 lane, 4 lane, single sided lighting vs both sides, City main street, side street, etc.
Cambridge and the Townships are essentially done, Waterloo is almost complete.  Next up is Kitchener with their wireless communication system.  Doing it this way you get some weird situations like the one below, where 1 light at the end of a street will be on the Kitchener control system.

That is hilarious and so amazingly absurd. Smile I love it.

("You would" - I can hear the peanut gallery now)
The conversion has started in Kitchener! Two sections - one by the Grand River and Victoria, and one by Bridgeport and Lancaster
Started as in finished and activated?
The red dots have turned blue on the map Smile

https://gis.region.waterloo.on.ca/Html5V...ig/Default
I guess what I mean is, if I drive by, will all the streetlights now be white there?
I was over in Bridgeport yesterday and the lights had been converted. Looks like the plug in relay on the top of the fixture is different than the Cambridge/Waterloo ones. Must have the wireless transmitter/receiver in it with the capability to dim and such.

I live on Otterbein and can confirm we have had had working LED lights since Thursday of last week.

Coke
I watched a couple of guys making the switches on Weber around Blucher yesterday- they were really efficient. It took all of five minutes for them to remove the old, replace with the new, stow the old in the truck and drive the truck to the next pole. It was pretty impressive.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »