Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
Yes, I specified Queen North.

Aren't those the same arguments we saw against LRT? People liking the current style (decorative lights or wider no-catenary roads) even when the alternative was much better for the future (uniform lighting systems, better illumination of all colours, less wasted/stray light, lower power/maintenance costs, and the many reasons for rapid transit we all know so well). Similar to the "neighbourhood character" or "stable neighbourhood" arguments brought up against development.
(03-16-2017, 09:10 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Aren't those the same arguments we saw against LRT? People liking the current style (decorative lights or wider no-catenary roads) even when the alternative was much better for the future (uniform lighting systems, better illumination of all colours, less wasted/stray light, lower power/maintenance costs, and the many reasons for rapid transit we all know so well). Similar to the "neighbourhood character" or "stable neighbourhood" arguments brought up against development.

Those are legitimate arguments. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't always go forward with something, but these are factors that should still be considered when going forward with a project.
(03-15-2017, 01:16 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Oh, wow!! I completely had understood that only the "regional roads" would be switching to LED, which I assumed meant the roads that were numbered - Victoria St being RR 55, Charles being RR 64, King being RR 15, etc. But that map shows that basically every streetlight in the region is being changed! That's great!

Yeah it was a Regional initiative and in the original product evaluation there were different scenarios specific to the cities.  Tendered out as one package likely for price efficiency and a common system across the region.

They are only doing the cobra head type fixtures for now.  None of the decorative fixtures in the downtown cores are being touched.  The King St. streetscape improvements being tendered now will have new LED lights in the same acorn looking fixture.  Manufacturers have retrofit kits for all of these types so they will get done eventually.

Some areas in my neighbourhood in Cambridge won't get the upgrade right now because they have the post top fixtures so they will be done under a separate contract eventually, or maybe they will replace the whole pole while they are at it.
Didnt they use LEDs for the new lights in the King Street Reconstruction a few years ago?
Exactly, which is why they're black dots (not being replaced) on this map.
They certainly are moving along in south Cambridge.

(04-04-2017, 04:09 PM)boatracer Wrote: They certainly are moving along in south Cambridge.

Looks like the Republicans still have the popular vote though.
I've been following the maps and virtually all of Cambridge, as well as St Jacobs, Elmira, Conestogo, Ayr, Heidelberg, St. Clements, and Breslau are mostly complete. Now to see who gets done next - Kitchener or Waterloo
(06-14-2017, 11:09 PM)razzie13 Wrote: I've been following the maps and virtually all of Cambridge, as well as St Jacobs, Elmira, Conestogo, Ayr, Heidelberg, St. Clements, and Breslau are mostly complete. Now to see who gets done next - Kitchener or Waterloo

Probably Waterloo as Kitchener is going for the fixtures with wireless frequencies. Kitchener Wilmot Hydro also puts all of their street lights on relay circuit switches where a single photoelectric sensor will turn on dozens of lights at once. Waterloo North and Energy+ use individual photoelectric sensors right on the lights themselves, which is fairly industry standard so it's easier to switch these out first in their respective municipalities. Lights in KW Hydro's jurisdiction will likely have to have a different switch technology overall if they wish to continue using the relay circuit system.

I have noticed the features are quite dim on arterial roads. In general, it looks like there are only 2-3 types of LED luminaires they're using. In particular, Hespeler Road between Pinebush and the Delta is the worst as the poles are so high and had higher wattage high pressure sodium fixtures before. On the other hand, the fixtures used on the side residential streets are pefect. Anyone else notice this?
(06-14-2017, 11:09 PM)razzie13 Wrote: I've been following the maps and virtually all of Cambridge, as well as St Jacobs, Elmira, Conestogo, Ayr, Heidelberg, St. Clements, and Breslau are mostly complete. Now to see who gets done next - Kitchener or Waterloo

I will go with Wilmot  Smile
What does it mean if an existing streetlight doesn't appear on the LED transition map? The one in front of my place isn't marked, but the two on either side are.
There's a layer in the map viewer you need to click that lets you see lamps that aren't slated for conversion as black dots. If it shows up as black, they'll be replacing that later on after this project is done. That said, it isn't going to be entirely accurate given the thousands of lights they are swapping out.

I just read (here) that the LED streetlights along the LRT route will dim if there is no motion nearby. Is this true?

Makes me think of one of my favourite commercials of all time...

As far as I know only Kitchener opted to install the "smart" technology, but I don't think the smart technology is quite that responsive.

When they say dim I think they mean they can dim it when there is snow on the ground.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »