Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
(10-29-2016, 06:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I just noticed that all the fixtures on Frederick, from at least Edna to Lancaster, are the new flat LED ones! They snapped on instantly when we were driving under them. Beautiful!

The lights on Frederick St were converted a couple years ago as a pilot project before deciding to do a Region-wide conversion.

Note Google Street View change (which happened sometime between August 2011 and April 2014):

June 2016: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4542264,-...312!8i6656

April 2014: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4542331,-...312!8i6656

August 2011: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4542629,-...312!8i6656

(10-30-2016, 12:34 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: @BuildingScout The trails are absolutely improperly lit, as myself just biking home tonight can attest.  It's pitch black.  We wouldn't accept roads like that.

The section on Frederick was the test site for the new LEDs, the region installed them there a while back to test out how they function on a real road in the region.

I was walking home from a party at 3:30am this past weekend, and thank god that the Spur Line trail has proper illumination. It was the most direct route for me, and I probably wouldn't have used it if it didn't have lights. It was a world of difference from the times I've used the Iron Horse trail after dusk.
(10-31-2016, 09:59 AM)Markster Wrote:
(10-30-2016, 12:34 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: @BuildingScout The trails are absolutely improperly lit, as myself just biking home tonight can attest.  It's pitch black.  We wouldn't accept roads like that.

The section on Frederick was the test site for the new LEDs, the region installed them there a while back to test out how they function on a real road in the region.

I was walking home from a party at 3:30am this past weekend, and thank god that the Spur Line trail has proper illumination.  It was the most direct route for me, and I probably wouldn't have used it if it didn't have lights.  It was a world of difference from the times I've used the Iron Horse trail after dusk.

Last week I have ridden home in the dark a few times, and yes, the Spur Line Trail is definitely worlds better than any other trail.  Sadly, the Iron Horse Trail which won't be lit in this latest rework is the direct route home.  But the Iron Horse Trail isn't too bad, because it's straight.  I rode the Laurel Trail in the dark, and a winding trail is extremely difficult in the dark.  I think I need a helmet mounted light.

I've noticed a few of the lights are out on the Spur Line trail already though.
(10-21-2016, 09:59 AM)boatracer Wrote: LED street light conversion tender has now closed and waiting for the official award.  Should see a lot of action on this across the Region since the substantial performance date to install 45,000 lights is December 2017.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....#Submitted

So the contract has been approved.  I don't get the numbers.  The winning bid Fairway Electrical had a tender of $34 million but I count $24 million in this link : http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...ilInfo.asp    Would they go down that much?

I guess it's actually only $ 13 million total, so now I really don't get the $ 34 million bid.
Ha Ha, Ctv news at 11:30 had this story as the region paying only $12 million?? to change 43,000 traffic signals??
I can't believe how bright King/Allen is. It's brilliant for driving, but... I feel bad for the folks who live along this stretch.
Looks like the conventional LED conversion project has officially begun in the Region, first starting in Wellesley. I find it interesting they would begin the conversion in the townships.

Has anyone spotted any other conversions in the Region?

There have been a few other LED conversions, but they were tied to a larger project or were a pilot such as along the LRT route, Ottawa Street widening or the Frederick Street test pilot.

Here are some pictures from Gerber Meadows drive in Wellesley. Note the old HPS lights to the left of the converted light in the first photo.

[Image: Lc7RCWlD.jpg]

[Image: QFEwAvv3.jpg]

Nice! It looks like the LED light pattern is fairly tightly focused in the photo, with not much spillover beyond the sidewalks. Or am I imagining things?
(03-11-2017, 12:48 PM)The85 Wrote: Looks like the conventional LED conversion project has officially begun in the Region, first starting in Wellesley. I find it interesting they would begin the conversion in the townships.

Has anyone spotted any other conversions in the Region?

There have been a few other LED conversions, but they were tied to a larger project or were a pilot such as along the LRT route, Ottawa Street widening or the Frederick Street test pilot.

Here are some pictures from Gerber Meadows drive in Wellesley. Note the old HPS lights to the left of the converted light in the first photo.

[Image: Lc7RCWlD.jpg]

[Image: QFEwAvv3.jpg]

What I like to know is why these projects in bold, all have different LED Luminaires?  Ex:  LRT Heads are longer and bigger then the Ottawa St ones.
I wish they'd standardized on the ones used at the Weber St. Grade Separation. They look like they're from 100 years in the future. Highly appropriate for our high-tech Region!
^^ Agree, forgot those. LOVE the look of those!
The ones at the grade separation are lighting specific pole and light fixtures, and are or close to the ones in the link below.

http://www.lightingproducts.philips.ca/o...+Arm+Mount

Those aren't suitable for the existing poles which carry the power/communications infrastructure which have the existing "cobra head" lights. I agree they look nice and would be suitable for a downtown refurb or tech area, but not in a Region wide retrofit.

The Region prequalified manufacturers which had to provide simulations of their submitted fixtures in different scenarios (2 lane-1 sided lighting, 2-sided, multi-lane, intersections, etc.) to approve multiple vendors and keep the materials bid competitive. They then provided those pre qualified fixture lists as part of the supply/install tender.
I've noticed something interesting along King West in midtown - the utility poles run alongside the road post-Ion work, and currently have the 'cobra head' fixtures.

However, they've also put LED fixtures on the LRT poles in the middle of the roadway. Might the cobra heads come down at some point?

(03-11-2017, 10:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Nice!  It looks like the LED light pattern is fairly tightly focused in the photo, with not much spillover beyond the sidewalks.  Or am I imagining things?

LED fixtures have much more precise light control, especially when it comes to what they call "house side" (or behind the fixture) light spill.  In the most extreme example they can place prisms over each LED segment to direct them in a particular direction.  Contrast that with an HID bulb with a segmented reflector behind it.
If anyone is interested, here is a link that shows a map of the region where the conversion has started and poles yet to be done. https://gis.region.waterloo.on.ca/Html5V...ig/Default
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »