Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Streetlight LED Conversion
Agreed! I'll never forget the first night I drove up 85 with the LED's switched on... I passed under Lancaster, and thought "...something's different", and then it hit me. Absolutely beautiful.

(08-05-2016, 10:55 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I believe converting all the city's streetlights to LED (at least, Region, Kitchener, and Waterloo, I recall specifically) was approved.

Do you know if the contracts were signed?  This cargo container like box appeared in the parking lot off the spur line trail, one box is labeled "aevitas lamp recycling program" and the other "altrade industrial".  Could these be related? 

All-Trade is doing the upgrading and replacement of the lighting in the Uptown Parkade.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It will look brighter at night, not so good for racoons, good for people walking about and good for people with depression potentially, especially in winter
The RFP is now out on the Region's site for the replacement of approximately 45,000 lights around the Region including a wide area control system which I think they are only doing in Kitchener right now. A few months ago they had the pre-qualification phase for manufacturers provide their products for approval in various configurations.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....473d920b72

Just found this forum and look forward to reading more in the future.
(08-30-2016, 10:24 PM)darts Wrote: It will look brighter at night, not so good for racoons, good for people walking about and good for people with depression potentially, especially in winter

Urban raccoons will not be happy.  Maybe also not the urban skunks!
LED street light conversion tender has now closed and waiting for the official award. Should see a lot of action on this across the Region since the substantial performance date to install 45,000 lights is December 2017.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....#Submitted
LED Street Light Conversion - Update
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I just noticed that all the fixtures on Frederick, from at least Edna to Lancaster, are the new flat LED ones! They snapped on instantly when we were driving under them. Beautiful!
(10-29-2016, 06:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I just noticed that all the fixtures on Frederick, from at least Edna to Lancaster, are the new flat LED ones! They snapped on instantly when we were driving under them. Beautiful!

Uhhhhhh

I don't know if this is just the phrasing of what you said, but are the lights motion-sensing and only go on when you drive / walk under them? Because if so: what the hell
I think it's that Canard just happened to pass under them at that one point at dusk where they come on.
LOL! Kevin is correct. It's not this (0:33) Big Grin

(One of my all-time favourite commercials; chills!)

I always feel super-lucky when I just happen to catch the moment in time each day when the lights come on!
(10-29-2016, 07:42 PM)GtwoK Wrote:
(10-29-2016, 06:33 PM)Canard Wrote: I just noticed that all the fixtures on Frederick, from at least Edna to Lancaster, are the new flat LED ones! They snapped on instantly when we were driving under them. Beautiful!

Uhhhhhh

I don't know if this is just the phrasing of what you said, but are the lights motion-sensing and only go on when you drive / walk under them? Because if so: what the hell

I have actually walked on the campus of EPFL where they have motion-sensing light posts that turn on when you are close to them. So it is a thing, and not as silly as it might sound.
You'd think it was a safety issue, though. Not being able to see if someone is hiding in the bushes, and all.

But in any case, good to see that's not the direction the city headed Smile

(10-29-2016, 11:13 PM)GtwoK Wrote: You'd think it was a safety issue, though. Not being able to see if someone is hiding in the bushes, and all.

I've always said that walking paths are improperly illuminated. For cars and bicycles the biggest danger is a pothole, so you light the road. For pedestrians the biggest danger is a creep hiding in the bushes, so you light the bushes. The bleeding of light from the bushes into the footpath would be enough illumination to avoid any road obstacles for walking.
@BuildingScout The trails are absolutely improperly lit, as myself just biking home tonight can attest. It's pitch black. We wouldn't accept roads like that.

The section on Frederick was the test site for the new LEDs, the region installed them there a while back to test out how they function on a real road in the region.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »