Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener Public Library
Kitchener Public Library

Work at the Library is close to completion. Signs went up this week and the front gardens are being landscaped. I learned today that the coffee bar (Matter of Taste) will open in a few weeks for a three month trial.

[Image: 21jdb42.jpg]

[Image: 2w2h1k7.jpg]
Official opening on Saturday, September 6th - will include building tours with the architects.

Central Library Opening Celebration

Saturday, September 6
10 am to 3 pm
Central Library
85 Queen Street North

With the completion of Central Library construction and renovation, we’re excited to invite the community to our opening celebration.

The festivities get underway with children’s entertainer Erick Traplin at 10 a.m., with the official opening ceremony and ribbon cutting beginning at 11 a.m.

Architects of this stunning project will be on hand to lead guests on tours. In addition, Deborah Moss and her team from Moss and Lam will be presenting an information session on the public art installation, “Flux”.

The celebration also includes a performance created by Lost and Found Theatre specifically for Kitchener Public Library, a KW Symphony ensemble, children’s crafts and activities, Digital Media Lab demonstrations, eBook clinics and more.

Details at: http://www.kpl.org/central/happening.html
Does anyone know if the plan is still to build a public square next door? On top of the parking garage?
Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.
panamaniac Wrote:Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.

I hadn't even thought of that. That would have been smart.

I'm hoping the parking lot gets developed which will provide some amenities, and people living there, and that space in between does end up becoming the public square like planned.
Spokes Wrote:
panamaniac Wrote:Unfortunately, a paid parking lot has gone in next door (site for future development, I believe). The small area between the parking lot and the Region HQ will be landscaped, but I don't know if there is a timetable for turning it into a "plaza". I still think they blew the underground parking by not extending it to the police station and landscaping the area behind the station and the Library.

I hadn't even thought of that. That would have been smart.

I'm hoping the parking lot gets developed which will provide some amenities, and people living there, and that space in between does end up becoming the public square like planned.

I don't know about people living there, but I agree that adding some amenities to the two remaining building sites would enhance the Civic District. I wonder if the City would ever be bold enough to invite proposals for development from the private sector? I'm guessing no.

Actually, if no good public use is found for the old Provincial Courthouse in the next few years, I wouldn't mind seeing that site at Frederick and Lancaster sold off for a residential project.

Nice turnout for the official opening of the Central Library today.

[Image: 8zgpqu.jpg]
I really need to get down and explore the new branch. I've only been just inside in the atrium. Beautiful though.
When I was in yesterday, I forgot to go down to see the refurbished theatre (200 seats). I need to keep an eye out for an event to attend there.
On Tuesday, September 16th, from 7pm to 9pm, author Charlotte Gray will be at the Library for a reading from her book The Massey Murder, followed by an armchair discussion with the well-know Canadian criminal lawyer, Edward Greenspan, Q.C.

Seating for this free event is first come, first served with doors open at 6:30pm.
Tonight's event with Charlotte Gray and Edward Greenspan, Q.C. was a big success, with a standing room only crowd. I managed to get a quick photo of the theatre before the event started. It is not completely finished yet, but I thought it looked pretty good. I'd love to see it used for occasional musical events or, if they get a digital projector, for the screening of classic films (that would be great!).

[Image: 2nm3ux5.jpg]
Of note, the seating is ex-Centre in the Square - donated when they replaced some seats recently.

A staffer at the KCL told me yesterday that the Matter of Taste Coffee bar in the Reading Room will open today.
(10-04-2014, 08:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A staffer at the KCL told me yesterday that the Matter of Taste Coffee bar in the Reading Room will open today.

Has anyone been yet? Wondering how many options they offer particularly for snacks. I tried to check it out last Friday but they weren't open yet Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »