Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitchener Public Library
I went over yesterday but didn't realize that the Library is still closed on Sundays for another couple of weeks.

Just to note that the Matter of Taste kiosk at the KCL is going to be open only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (not sure about Saturday) for the time being. I gather this is still considered an "experiment" to see if it takes. So, if you head up to the Library, be sure to buy a coffee!
I know this is not directly related to the Kitchener Public Library -  but I don't think it warrants its own thread.

Does anyone have any experience using these "Little Free" Libraries?  There is one in my neighbourhood and I've seen another 1 or 2 in the city (KW).

I've seen something similar setup at camp grounds, where campers trade books at the Camp Tuck shop, but I'm curious as to how this is working outside of a confined area like a campground.

Has anyone tried them out?
(10-14-2014, 05:20 PM)Shawn Wrote: Does anyone have any experience using these "Little Free" Libraries?  There is one in my neighbourhood and I've seen another 1 or 2 in the city (KW).

Has anyone tried them out?

There's at least 7 or 8 within walking distance of where I live (Westmount / Belmont Village).  It's nice to take a look while out on a walk.  I've read a few books that I've picked up there.  They're quite handy.
I have yet to take a book out from the nearest one to me, Peppler and Young.

I did leave a book there, and it's nice that I can take a book off my shelf that's getting dusty, and have it be shared and read more than it would be with me. I do wonder if someday, I'll want it back for a relative or someone, and maybe feel different, but I'm good at the moment :-)
(10-07-2014, 04:03 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Just to note that the Matter of Taste kiosk at the KCL is going to be open only on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday (not sure about Saturday) for the time being.  I gather this is still considered an "experiment" to see if it takes.  So, if you head up to the Library, be sure to buy a coffee!

I think coffee shops only work if they are open every day for rather long hours. They are a bit of impulse buys and no one will say "oh, today is Thursday, let's go for a coffee at the library".
I agree with you. I think the Library blew it by not incorporating a coffee shop with its own entrance into the original design. They are now trying to fix things, but whether this approach will work remains to be seen. If it does, the intention is to increase the coffee kiosk's hours over time, but in the circumstances, the Matter of Taste owner is taking a bit of a risk with this. It's unfortunate since, as I understand it, Matter of Taste tried to persuade them to incorporate a coffee shop early on and couldn't convince the powers that be to focus on it.

(10-16-2014, 03:48 PM)panamaniac Wrote:  It's unfortunate since, as I understand it, Matter of Taste tried to persuade them to incorporate a coffee shop early on and couldn't convince the powers that be to focus on it.

Ironically, it is my understanding that the coffee shop at the Dana Porter library at the University of Waterloo blew away all sales projections.
In case you miss it on TV or crave a bigger screen, the Library has a free showing of "It's a Wonderful Life" (1946) on Saturday, 13 December at 2:00pm.
(10-16-2014, 04:30 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Ironically, it is my understanding that the coffee shop at the Dana Porter library at the University of Waterloo blew away all sales projections.

Oh, the irony....

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5178.../#comments
Wednesday, December 17th

The Boy from Benton Street: Mackenzie King and Kitchener

Displays and refreshments: 6:30 p.m.; keynote address by John English: 7 p.m.; as author, politician, historian and professor John English exploring King’s early years and legacy; what qualities did King possess helping him as he confronted the enormous challenges Canada faced; how his early experiences in what was then Berlin factor in to his later political life; no registration required

Kitchener Public Library
85 Queen St. N., Kitchener ON, N2H 2H1
Adults |  Free
Contractor sues city, architects for $7M over delays in library renovation
March 19, 2015 | Catherine Thompson | Waterloo Region Record

Quote:KITCHENER — The general contractor on the renovation and expansion of Kitchener's main library is suing the city and the architects on the project for $7 million, saying that hundreds of changes to the design led to costly delays.

The general contractor, Maystar General Contractors of Vaughan, filed a statement of claim last May, seeking $7,005,325.93 in damages from four parties: the City of Kitchener; LGA Architectural Partners of Toronto; Philip H. Carter of Toronto, an architect specializing in library design; and WalterFedy, a Kitchener firm that was responsible for the design of the parking garage and for engineering design for the overall project.

According to documents filed in court in Kitchener, the city and Maystar signed a contract in September 2010 that work would start on Nov. 1, 2010, and be substantially complete by March 1, 2013. Both the city and Maystar later agreed to change the completion date to April 3, 2013.

Kitchener's newly renovated central library reopened in May 2014, more than a year later than the date specified in the contract. The $49-million renovation and expansion added a two-storey extension and a three-level underground parking garage that is shared with other users, and fully renovated all three floors of the Queen Street building. The library remained open for much of the construction period, adding to the complexity of the project.

In its statement of claim, Maystar alleges that the city and three firms named in the lawsuit made "an excessive number of design changes," including 307 proposed changes, 273 more formal change orders and hundreds of requests for information...

FULL ARTICLE HERE
Canadian architect, Douglas Cardinal, is giving a free public lecture on "Organic Architecture" at the KCL at 1830hrs tonight.

The Forest Heights Branch of the Kitchener Public Library is hosting a drop-in crafting program for adults called Recycle Mania. Saturday June 6, 2:00-4:30

The ad reads: Drop by and give some old books new life! We’ll be making stylish folded book art, vintage paper roses, origami wreathes, paper beads, and more. June 6, 2:00-4:30, all ages. No registration required.

[Image: 2edv30w.jpg]
A different cafe will be launching in the reading room at Central in mid-August: Hacienda Coffee.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »