Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Food Trucks
Where do you go to get info on food trucks?  Where they are on what dates and what not?

I'm trying to plan a "food truck tour" where we visit 3 or 4 food trucks in a night.

Am I out to lunch (so to speak) in thinking that food trucks are less of a "thing" in K-W this year than they were last?
I'm not much of a food truck person, but it seems that the Food Truck Frenzy is on again this summer, every Monday at Forest Hill United Church. The church has a schedule of what trucks will be there any given week on their website: http://foresthillunited.org/wp/wp-conten...le2016.pdf.
CBC has a listing of some of the different regular events here:
Where and when to find food trucks this summer in Kitchener, Waterloo, Guelph

Food Truck Frenzy on Mondays seems pretty big. Here is the schedule for Monday/Dunbar Food Trucks (I should plug that since it is in my neighbourhood). I'm pretty sure that there is a church somewhere in Kitchener that has a few trucks on Tuesday as well. 

I really like Truck Eats Cool Treats at Ambrosia Pastry, but I often go just for Ambrosia Smile

I have mixed feelings about food trucks in Canada. There are a variety of factors at play, but in the US they seem to have a reputation of being good & cheap, in Canada there aren't many I've come across that qualify as cheap [for me, classified as meal & drink for under $10 after tax]. As for good, some are great and some are just OK.

Berlin-95 is one of my favourites (good if you like schnitzel & sausage) for quality & value, Crazy Canuck is also good for these. I also like West of Seoul and Cafe Du Monde for quality and they both stand out for being a little different from the meat/cheese/potato heavy trucks. I'm not a vegetarian, but I'd love to see more vegetarian options in the local trucks.
(07-20-2016, 06:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Am I out to lunch (so to speak) in thinking that food trucks are less of a "thing" in K-W this year than they were last?

There's still a bunch of food truck events, but there's fewer big new events or new food trucks. And they're showing up less in the downtowns - they've maybe found a more underserved niche with their regular suburban evening events and lunch service in industrial areas. Plus they've been going further afield to places like Guelph.

Which is to say I think they're evolving and becoming less of a novel "thing" here and more a part of the food landscape.

To answer the original question: there isn't one single comprehensive resource for where to find local food trucks. You can follow their individual Twitter accounts or accounts for some of those events; there's also one more general Twitter account for Waterloo Region food trucks.
Doon Presbyterian Church has lots every Tuesday: http://www.doonpc.com/tasty-tuesdays/
What's the connection between churches and food trucks?

(07-21-2016, 08:49 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What's the connection between churches and food trucks?

Guessing here:
1) Empty parking lots on weeknights in suburban neighbourhoods.
2) An existing community of people from the neighbourhood that will show up.
For those interested, King St Downtown is closed this evening and tomorrow for the annual food truck event.  This evening's festivities are in conjunction with the annual "Rock and Rumble" event.
I'd head down if the heat weren't so oppressive.
There is a pretty good breeze at least. I think once the sun goes down more it could actually be pretty nice.
(07-21-2016, 10:22 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(07-21-2016, 08:49 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What's the connection between churches and food trucks?

Guessing here:
1) Empty parking lots on weeknights in suburban neighbourhoods.
2) An existing community of people from the neighbourhood that will show up.

3) Monday-Wednesday are generally slower for trucks than Thursday-Sunday.

So yeah, trucks have the time and 1 & 2 are both valid. Also, I believe the trucks give a small cut (10%*) to the host church.

* now that I think about it, that's not too small when it comes to the food industry
Thanks for all the advice/links everyone!

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »