Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lai Lai Closed?
Seems like the Kitchener landmark has closed down, the sign is off the building and all. I haven't a clue what happened but I will miss the place's fine selection of vegetarian food.

I saw that too last week. Sad if it's the case.
(07-20-2016, 06:21 PM)Spokes Wrote: I saw that too last week.  Sad if it's the case.

NOOOOOO.  They had the best vegetarian options...now what am I going to do!?
Well that is disappointing, I feel bad now, that restaurant was half a block from my house and I always thought I should try it, but never did. I cannot help but feel partially responsible now.
It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire. I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café? Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.
(07-27-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire.  I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café?  Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.

They had the best concrete lions guarding the entrance.   Big Grin
(07-28-2016, 07:38 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(07-27-2016, 01:10 PM)nms Wrote: It could also just be a case of the owners deciding to retire.  I wonder who owns the building and how this might affect City Café?  Given the tight space, there isn't much potential for changing the building shape or footprint.

They had the best concrete lions guarding the entrance.   Big Grin

Dibs!!!

One of our regulars; we'd dine there at least twice a month. I'll really miss the girls there. Sad
New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.
(06-14-2017, 09:52 PM)tvot Wrote: New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.

Golden Dynasty, and the signs say all day home made dim sum. I hope it's good!
(06-15-2017, 09:23 AM)kaiserdiver Wrote:
(06-14-2017, 09:52 PM)tvot Wrote: New signs appeared this week at former Lai Lai... I'm going from memory but I think it's "Golden Destiny" -- sign says something about dim sum. I really should stop on the way home and take a picture if it's not raining tomorrow.

Golden Dynasty, and the signs say all day home made dim sum. I hope it's good!

So far, nothing in WR comes close to the dim sum at Cameron Chinese Restaurant.
(06-15-2017, 09:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: So far, nothing in WR comes close to the dim sum at Cameron Chinese Restaurant.

Sam's Chinese Kitchen on Victoria is good and doesn't have the insane lines of Cameron.
Sam's is excellent, and some of the former Lai Lai staff are there.

Is it dim sum only?

Very inconsistent reviews on Yelp, Zomato and Tripadvisor: lots of love and lots of hate. Still, we might take a walk here to try dim sum one of these weekends.
Sam's? No, Sam's has the same kind of menu as Lai Lai did. Combo plates, individual items, you name it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »