Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to Pearson
Has anyone ever tried Go - Malton, then local transit to Pearson? It seems so tantalizingly close.

(07-20-2016, 01:57 PM)kaiserdiver Wrote: Has anyone ever tried Go - Malton, then local transit to Pearson? It seems so tantalizingly close.

Yup, it can work. I've done it. It's just a bit farther than one would like to walk from Malton GO if one is a normal person, but the bus takes you right there.
(07-20-2016, 01:57 PM)kaiserdiver Wrote: Has anyone ever tried Go - Malton, then local transit to Pearson? It seems so tantalizingly close.

From that distance you can also cab/Uber it pretty easily.
I did the GO Train to Weston + UPX for a one-way trip this past August, but with the taxi from Doon South to the GO Station it probably didn't cost any less than Airways Transit would have. Incredibly relaxing, some scenic views, and no fear of traffic delays all made for a definite plus however.
I don't travel as much anymore, but I found that Airways Transit was often disappointingly uncompetitive compared to several options. The VIP Park'n'Fly was often my preferred option, but taxis were often no more expensive than Airways Transit as well.
With two people, taxi/limo is about the same price as Airways Transit.

PnF valet is not cheap, either (and the other two lots have very slow shuttle service) so I generally park at either Viscount or the terminal depending on the length of the trip.
I usually park at Viscount in the econo lot if I'm gone for a week or less. Plus you get to ride the glorified chairlift that pretends it's a train. Big Grin

When I went to Japan in April I took GO/UPx since the timetable was favourable and I didn't want to risk driving (or have to drive when I got back, knowing how whipped I'd be). As Kevin says, it's a relaxing trip, and my anxiety thanked me very much for not having to worry about traffic.

RideCo apparently does Pearson trips for $60 (for one person): http://www.rideco.info/pearson-international-airport (They also claim to offer rides to downtown Toronto for $45, not sure how long that will last before Greyhound sues them to preserve their monopoly.)

There's also DriverSeat (http://driverseatinc.com/) - I saw their van in my neighborhood recently and emailed them for a Pearson quote. They will drive you to the airport in your own vehicle for $65 one way/$110 return, or private shuttle for $110 ow, $200 return.

I always just get a taxi for $90+tip, but the DriverSeat option is tempting as they will actually do pick-up for the return trip, and the RideCo seems like a good price if when flying solo. Haven't tried either option yet though.
Blackcar Waterloo $120 + tip.
Uber $90-120, no tip.
The cheapest I have done was the GO bus from WLU to Square 1. I think I paid $14. I then took MiWay (Mississauga transit) to Terminal 1 for $3.75.

It was a bit of a slow trip, but I wasn't in a hurry.
You can do it cheaper than that. MiWay has a $0.75 GO co-fare, which is automatically applied if you use Presto. Just have to show your GO ticket when paying otherwise.

GO also has a Square One to Pearson service now, which should cost about the same.
GO bus route 40
http://www.gotransit.com/public/en/trave...rport.aspx
Adult single ride $5.55

Quote:Service runs hourly on weekdays and weekends, and every 30 minutes during weekday rush hour.
Travels between Hamilton GO Centre, Oakville Carpool Lot at Trafalgar/ Hwy 407, Square One, Pearson Airport and Richmond Hill Centre Terminal (Hwy. 7 & Yonge)
Trip between Square One and Pearson Airport takes approximately 15mins
Greyhound is going to start offering service between Kitchener and Pearson Airport as of April 17 2017: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/ground/##

Only 4-5 trips a day at some odd times (Pearson > Kitchener is 12:35 AM, 9 AM, 11 AM, 8:35 PM and 10 PM; Kitchener > Pearson is 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 3:30 PM), but the web-only fare is as low as $20 in advance (plus, I assume, the $3 each way service fee that they only show after you've entered your credit card info).

(04-11-2017, 12:35 PM)goggolor Wrote: Greyhound is going to start offering service between Kitchener and Pearson Airport as of April 17 2017: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/ground/##

Only 4-5 trips a day at some odd times (Pearson > Kitchener is 12:35 AM, 9 AM, 11 AM, 8:35 PM and 10 PM; Kitchener > Pearson is 9:30 AM, 11:30 AM, 1:30 PM, and 3:30 PM), but the web-only fare is as low as $20 in advance (plus, I assume, the $3 each way service fee that they only show after you've entered your credit card info).

While that is good news, I really wish Greyhound would get with the 21st (hell the 20th) century and start doing proper online tickets, I hate having to print things on paper.  They also need to get their routes integrated into Google Maps, so they show up when I'm actually searching for routes.

Those two things alone will keep me off this route.
(04-11-2017, 12:35 PM)goggolor Wrote: Greyhound is going to start offering service between Kitchener and Pearson Airport as of April 17 2017: https://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/ground/##

Yeah, those are pretty weird times, especially the 12:35AM one. But it is another option. I think the 9:30 one might be worse than taking the GO train and then UP. The schedule through Guelph is also not exactly fast (1h55). Taking GO to Square One and then a taxi may be a better money/speed tradeoff in some cases.

(04-11-2017, 01:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: While that is good news, I really wish Greyhound would get with the 21st (hell the 20th) century and start doing proper online tickets, I hate having to print things on paper.  They also need to get their routes integrated into Google Maps, so they show up when I'm actually searching for routes.

The Greyhound search for Kitchener -> Toronto also randomly doesn't work depending on which stop you choose. I can't quite get it right.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »