Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Getting to Pearson
What are the best ways to get to/from the airport from Kitchener? I imagine MiWay/Go would probably be the most economical, however I was also curious about what kind of car-sharing or other services exist.

United Taxi offers drop-off at the airport for $89.99. Same price for the car whether it's one, two or three passengers.
I would suggest taking GO to Square one and then either the 7 or 107 to Pearson (it's about 35-40 mins)
I have used Lens' GO/MiWay method many times myself. If you can afford it, a shuttle also works well.
I haven't flown in several years, but I've used Airways Transit in the past and it was convenient for me. They also do the return trip for the same cost. I think the return trip by taxi is more expensive.
When I went to Japan, I decided 51 train lines wasn't enough, so I added 2 more by taking GO from Kitchener to Weston, then transferring to the UP Express which backtracks a little into the airport. It worked well enough, and cost a fraction of what a taxi would.

Normally I just drive though and park in the Economy Value Lot.
(07-20-2016, 03:11 AM)Canard Wrote: When I went to Japan, I decided 51 train lines wasn't enough, so I added 2 more by taking GO from Kitchener to Weston, then transferring to the UP Express which backtracks a little into the airport. It worked well enough, and cost a fraction of what a taxi would.

Normally I just drive though and park in the Economy Value Lot.

Economy Value Lot is cheaper for weekend trips for 2 people, I think. In general GO/MiWay is cheapest, although GO/GO recently became viable for some trips again; they reinstated Square One to Pearson, this time with more stops in Hamilton. If one is in just a bit more of a rush, GO/taxi is a compromise.

When I was flying more often, I'd do the Park'n'Fly Valet Parking option. It was generally cheaper than any of the airport parking options and was fast and convenient. Airways Transit was surprisingly non-competitive, with taxis often being no more expensive. I did once take Airways Transit back from the airport though and ended up with a nice, comfortable sedan to myself instead. Plush leather seats and everything. It seemed to be an Airways Transit vehicle, but it might have been because I was getting dropped off at my house instead of the Waterloo Inn? I didn't completely understand, to be honest, but it was very nice. I like public transit in principle, but I always had a fair bit of luggage and, frankly, it sucks carrying lots of luggage on a GO train or bus.
(07-20-2016, 07:30 AM)jamincan Wrote: When I was flying more often, I'd do the Park'n'Fly Valet Parking option. It was generally cheaper than any of the airport parking options and was fast and convenient. Airways Transit was surprisingly non-competitive, with taxis often being no more expensive. I did once take Airways Transit back from the airport though and ended up with a nice, comfortable sedan to myself instead. Plush leather seats and everything. It seemed to be an Airways Transit vehicle, but it might have been because I was getting dropped off at my house instead of the Waterloo Inn? I didn't completely understand, to be honest, but it was very nice. I like public transit in principle, but I always had a fair bit of luggage and, frankly, it sucks carrying lots of luggage on a GO train or bus.

I guess Airways Transit is cheaper on the return pricing? I don't think I've ever done that.

I've carried lots of luggage on all sorts of public transit. (8 pieces!) It's not a great experience. But that's not necessarily because it's public transit but rather because I'm carrying 8 pieces of luggage.
I guess it depends a lot on time of day. I've been crammed on a GO train before with a big bag and felt *very* conspicuous.
(07-20-2016, 07:30 AM)jamincan Wrote: Airways Transit was surprisingly non-competitive, with taxis often being no more expensive.

Airways Transit services and prices have steadily gone the wrong way (service down, prices up) since I started using them long ago. I know of many companies that now rely solely on taxi/private limo (stagecoach, boulevard) for their own employees. Personally, I usually take a taxi to the airport ($90 fixed rate) and a pre-booked limo on the way back (about $120-$130).
I live in NW Waterloo (Columbia/Fischer-Hallman ish), so getting to Pearson involves a car for at least part of the way (transit to the train station or bus station is shamefully abyssmal, and the frequency is insufficient to make it a possibility for most of my recent flights).

I used to use Airways Transit. I still recommend it as the "default" option for relatives leaving their cars in my driveway when they go on vacation. For single adults, it's not the worst cost (presently $92 one-way, prices change on # passengers).

Since getting a car, I've mostly been in the Park 'n' Fly camp. Rates for parking are often comparable with a one-way taxi/car service fare, but depend instead on length of stay. I've since become unimpressed with their shuttle frequency in recent years (and with overcrowding in their lots).

For one trip when I had work paying for it I used Black Car Waterloo which is $120 to, $135 from. With my family of three, it is a clear winner over Airways Transit ($147 to).

With my dissatisfaction with Park 'n' Fly, I moved on to parking at the Pearson lot near the train station (always thought it was a monorail, but Wikipedia tells me it's an Automated People Mover). At $103 for the week, it was not too much more than Park 'n' Fly, and the train is much more predictable than Park 'n' Fly's shuttles.

tl;dr - If you already have a car, I recommend parking at the Pearson parkade. If you don't and would like door-to-door service, I recommend Airways Transit for single travellers, Black Car Waterloo for groups of 2+. I have never used transit to get to Pearson, possibly because my experiences with intercity travel in this province have all been uncomfortable, untimely, and unsatisfactory.
(07-20-2016, 11:21 AM)chutten Wrote: With my dissatisfaction with Park 'n' Fly, I moved on to parking at the Pearson lot near the train station (always thought it was a monorail, but Wikipedia tells me it's an Automated People Mover).

It falls into the APM category, yeah - but as much as I love Doppelmayr's lifts and other ropeways (and roller coasters - I rode their only one!), their train (Doppelmayr Cable Car) division is garbage. I'm so sad that they won that contract. They did based on weather - it's driven by a stationary engine and a haul rope, so wheel-to-rail traction goes away (ie, unaffected by bad weather). But the ride quality is awful.

(07-20-2016, 11:21 AM)chutten Wrote: With my dissatisfaction with Park 'n' Fly, I moved on to parking at the Pearson lot near the train station (always thought it was a monorail, but Wikipedia tells me it's an Automated People Mover). At $103 for the week, it was not too much more than Park 'n' Fly, and the train is much more predictable than Park 'n' Fly's shuttles.
Out of curiousity, what Park 'n' Fly did you use? I've always used the Valet Park 'n' Fly and have never had to wait more than a few minutes for the shuttle.
(07-20-2016, 12:50 PM)jamincan Wrote: Out of curiousity, what Park 'n' Fly did you use? I've always used the Valet Park 'n' Fly and have never had to wait more than a few minutes for the shuttle.

The non-Valet ones Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »