Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
Wow, thanks to everyone for the replies! I just wanted a quick update on things...

For the record, I believe the 'yellow route' is the one originally proposed. Skirts the gravel pit, connects well with local roads, avoids other troublesome properties.

It would be a nice option for pedestrians and cyclists as Victoria isn't really a pleasant option. Things might improve on Victoria, though, when the new Hwy 7 is constructed.
That bridge is in the "beyond 20 year time horizon" category of the transporation master plan:
http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...f#page=150
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I'm pretty sure the Region already has a right-of-way reserved on both sides for a potential bridge.

The below map is of ownership parcels from the region's GIS

[Image: 7AZDLGm.png]
Thanks for getting link, since the document was released in 2011 does that mean that there could conceivably be shovels in the ground by 2031 for the Ottawa St extension. I am somewhat surprised by how far into the future this project lies, but there was a large gap between the previous Grand River crossings and the Fairway Rd bridge.
Well they are updating the "plan" over the next 18 months. Have your say if you think it should be more of a priority:
https://www.peakdemocracy.ca/portals/153...Issue_1719
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Democracies are so cool Big Grin

... but also Brexit and Trump...
(07-05-2016, 02:58 PM)Markster Wrote: If only the bridge existed...
It would cut 2km off the taxi ride from downtown to the airport!

As it is, both Victoria and Fairway routes are about 12 km.  Via Ottawa it would be 10 km.

Curiosity question: What is the approximate cab or Uber fee to get to the airport from downtown?
(07-05-2016, 11:57 PM)MacBerry Wrote:
(07-05-2016, 02:58 PM)Markster Wrote: If only the bridge existed...
It would cut 2km off the taxi ride from downtown to the airport!

As it is, both Victoria and Fairway routes are about 12 km.  Via Ottawa it would be 10 km.

Curiosity question: What is the approximate cab or Uber fee to get to the airport from downtown?

Not exactly the downtown core but it was $18 to get to Margaret/Wellington.
Current Uber fare estimate is $16-21 from King/Ontario to the airport.
$12.50 from Uptown with RideCo.
I have paid, for a taxi, after tip:
$35 Queen & Courtland to airport via Fairway
$45 Airport to Queen & Courtland via Victoria

The Breslau secondary plan has a proposed route for the "Ottawa extension". I couldn't figure out how to pull just the diagram but its on page 90 of http://www.woolwich.ca/en/resourcesGener...ndix-A.pdf.

Of course, the secondary plan is full of wishful thinking and things that will never happen. But its at least an idea (and better than having nothing).
The current end of Ottawa before the proposed extention:

https://twitter.com/coke6pk/status/750844117404512256
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »