Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner)
(07-05-2016, 04:32 PM)clasher Wrote: I don't really think an Ottawa Street bridge would be all the useful to anyone except the people living right beside it. Travellers to Guelph are going to still go up to Victoria or the new highway 7, or head down to Kossuth and they might as well use the existing bridges to do those trips, they probably aren't at capacity and won't ever be.

The gravel pit, I think it was called Forwell Gravel, is still active so they'd have to be bought out to build the orange route and I don't think it's really worth shutting down since there is such a high demand for aggregates in this region. The blue route cutting the Safety-Kleen plant in half doesn't make much sense given the levels of contamination there and it would be expensive to expropriate the whole plant.

The Fairway bridge cost 51 million dollars, I think building an Ottawa street bridge would be a huge waste of money for little utility.

I don't think it's an IMMEDIATE concern. But give it 20, 30 years and the city will have expanded much farther East. We'll need more arterial roads breaking up what is now countryside, and Menno Street / Township Rd 80 looks to be in the right place to divide things up evenly. And with 2 arterial roads (Ottawa and Menno) lined up so evenly, it would only make sense to eventually connect them with a bridge.

[Image: CJ0cuYG.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ottawa Street Widening (Hwy. 7 to Lackner) - by GtwoK - 07-05-2016, 04:52 PM