Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
222 Albert Street | 12 fl | Complete
The website for 222 Albert and 255 Sunview is marketing them as upscale, furnished apartments; the word "student" doesn't appear. Note that the website has rents and floor plans.

Not being geared towards students is fantastic! The unit design makes this possible. Finally.
(02-04-2015, 12:29 AM)Spokes Wrote: Not being geared towards students is fantastic!  The unit design makes this possible.  Finally.

I think the "furnished" part makes it clear that students and other temporary residents of the university community are still in the target audience. (Which I think is just fine.) But it's not "student rentals", which is definitely notable.
Omitting the word 'student' is just marketing.  

I have a hard time understanding how students/young professionals will share a building in that location.  Too many differences in lifestyle and maturity.

Any good examples out there?  Prove me wrong?  What is the highest percentage of students that a young professional would want in their building?
(02-04-2015, 09:37 AM)REnerd Wrote: Any good examples out there?  Prove me wrong?  What is the highest percentage of students that a young professional would want in their building?

400 Parkside drive as well as the condos on Westmount between University and Erb always had a good mix of students and professionals.

But overall I'm right there with you. There will be too many students there, some is ok, too many it becomes party central. I don't see the mix working either.
222 and 226 are just flying up, 3 and 2 floors respectively when it was just a hole not long ago.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(03-03-2015, 10:48 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: 222 and 226 are just flying up, 3 and 2 floors respectively when it was just a hole not long ago.

Finally a place that shows how fast construction can take place... I guess 256 Phillip St also showed how fast construction should proceed.

Video 
Their blog just posted a timelapse video from last week.

The best part of that video is seeing the crane go up on Sunview.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
[Image: wekEvbb.jpg]
[Image: 3u1SoS4.jpg]
[Image: heADyUA.jpg]
This one is going up fast, I am guessing by now it must be nearly topped out.

Thank you scamander24 for the photo updates on this project!
It is quite impressive how fast they're able to put this together. Why don't other companies use this method of construction?

(04-27-2015, 06:58 AM)Spokes Wrote: It is quite impressive how fast they're able to put this together.  Why don't other companies use this method of construction?

And what, specifically, is the method?
This one was made using prefab pieces.
I assume that Spokes means to use that, as opposed to ICF (lego), or poured concrete.

The tower at the south end of Philip was also done with prefab.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »