Some point about your community
Some point about your community
Much More.. or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ottawa LRT
Gobs of footage today out of Ottawa:

Can't wait for Tom (Galloway) to get his chance to do the same here. Smile
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(04-25-2018, 08:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Gobs of footage today out of Ottawa:

Can't wait for Tom (Galloway) to get his chance to do the same here. Smile

That's assuming he's re-elected.

Interesting too, and while I am not sure if Ottawa is behind schedule or not, is that they have the trains ready before everything else is complete. That's how it should be done. Now they can do months of testing too. We're not likely to get all the trains before the end of this year, plus they should do enough testing (likely 6 months with all trains).

Ottawa went with Alstom, and they build both the train and signalling, and apparently on time as well. The trains originate in the US, but final assembly was in Ottawa. I'm thinking if the region gets our second phase LRT, just have a transfer point at Fairview Park or Sportsworld, then use Alstom trains for the rest of the Blue Line to Cambridge. Saves a lot of headaches. Plus with final assembly in the region, it means more jobs!
Ottawa LRT is currently six months behind schedule. And they can only test on part of the system until some months later.

Incidentally, in Ottawa RTG will not be paying any penalties at all for missing the schedule.
Tom, going with a mixed fleet introduces far more headaches than it saves.

This is why Southwest only has one type of aircraft, and why they're so successful.

Ottawa's LRT will not open in November, I can tell you that right now.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain
(04-26-2018, 01:40 AM)jeffster Wrote: That's assuming he's re-elected.

Huh

If the Region wanted to do a show-and-tell like Ottawa just did, they could have done it 2 months ago. We have run trains the full route, at speed (something Ottawa still hasn't done yet, despite having been testing trains (supposedly) for well over a year).
"Opening in November"

Confused

...I dunno.  I'm no expert, but it looks like they've got a long way to go, still.  It's going to be absolutely stunning, there's no doubt about it - but I just can't see how they'll squeeze ~6 months of testing and hardcore commissioning in while the stations are still this far away from completion.  I hope they'll make it!

...and so it doesn't get jealous, some O-Train photos: