Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Ottawa LRT
(01-25-2018, 04:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-24-2018, 11:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: When will government's learn that secrecy is never a good strategy? People either assume you hiding something bad or you are actually hiding something bad and that's going to come out anyway - probably before they want it to.

Just be upfront. Own your mistakes. Focus on solutions. The public is more forgiving than most think - provided they aren't taken for a ride (and for granted) in the process.

Which secrecy are you referring to?  That they have not yet announced a new date?  Or something else?

Actually it was this line in the article that I was referring:
Quote:But even when the consortium does give the city a new date, the public won't find out what it is for weeks.

Manconi and other rail officials said they will update council's finance and economic development committee sometime in the first quarter of this year.

There are two finance committees scheduled during the first three months of this year, on Feb. 6 and March 6.

The consortium is going to tell the city, but the city isn't going to publicize for weeks.

On the other hand the city's general manager of transportation was being a little more straightforward:
Quote:"Our assessment — and every indication we have — leads us to believe there's no way they're going to make May 24,"

I'd like to see some of that locally given we are 103 workdays from "late spring" (June 21).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(01-25-2018, 11:28 PM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 04:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Which secrecy are you referring to?  That they have not yet announced a new date?  Or something else?

Actually it was this line in the article that I was referring:
Quote:But even when the consortium does give the city a new date, the public won't find out what it is for weeks.

The consortium is going to tell the city, but the city isn't going to publicize for weeks.

I expect that the city staff will take the consortium's date and then build their own schedule based on that. That'll take some time, but they will not want to announce any schedule revisions prematurely.
Why did the city let the LRT consortium off the hook for $1M?
City officials, including mayor, have been wily about — or didn't know — what contract says

Another example of why P3s aren't always as great as they are made out to be.
Any contract could seem bad if you don't understand the terms.

In other news, the entire system is not going to be ATO/Automated as was first thought. As it turns out, the driver will operate the train just like any other train for almost the entire line - only in the tunnels for 3 stations will it be ATO (push start button).
(02-10-2018, 01:55 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Why did the city let the LRT consortium off the hook for $1M?
City officials, including mayor, have been wily about — or didn't know — what contract says

Another example of why P3s aren't always as great as they are made out to be.

It being a P3 is not the fundamental problem. Not managing the project properly is the problem. If you negotiate a good contract and you manage it well, P3 can work just fine. The same is true for any private company outsourcing a project: managed badly, it will be a disaster, managed well, it can be as good as or better than doing the project internally.

And, yes, if you don't have the desire or capability to manage the outsourcing project, you simply shouldn't do it.
Chris Drew has created a facebook event to plan opening day!

https://www.facebook.com/events/18893615...48/?ti=icl
Since nobody else has posted it yet, Ottawa revealed the names of their trains.

Article from CBC

I wasn't going to look until I was physically there (I like surprises!), but my husband said "...no, you've got to see these".
  • Canada Goose
  • Farley Mowat
  • Gord Downie
  • Inuksuk
  • John McCrae
  • Logdriver-Draveur
  • Lord Stanley
  • Louis Riel
  • Majestic Moose
  • Odawa
  • Poppy
  • Snowbird
  • Bluenose
  • Boreal
  • Emily Carr
  • Jacques Cartier
  • Juno
  • Nathan Cirillo
  • Normandy
  • Samuel de Champlain
  • Thomas D'Arcy McGee
  • Totem
  • Tundra
  • Wagosh-Fox
  • Acadia
  • Agnes Macphail
  • Amik-Beaver
  • Bertha Wilson
  • Billy Bishop
  • Eh-Train
  • Henrietta Edwards
  • Maple Taffy
  • The Mountie
  • George Brown

The existing Trillium Line (DMU) vehicles will also get names:
  • Nanuq-Polar Bear
  • Northern Lights
  • Rocket Richard
  • Dreamcatcher
  • Emily Murphy
  • Portage

I'll refrain from commenting on individual names but there are some really good ones and some really bad ones, so I think that's great. It's like an art gallery - it's supposed to have stuff you like and stuff you hate. Makes for good discussions on the platforms. Smile

There are some good ones (I particularly like Rocket Richard) but I would prefer a theme. Most of them are named after people, but then there is a smattering of miscellaneous other stuff thrown in.

Can we get one called "Red Hot"? Big Grin
Dutch Treet? Mini-Sizzler?
Bikes OK on LRT - Ottawa Citizen
LRT consortium won't take blame for Rideau Street sinkhole - CBC

Neat-o blame-slider thingie at the bottom of the page. Fun!
Kind of puts some of our testing milestones for our "late spring" opening in perspective relative to Ottawa's November 2018 opening.

Make-or-break testing to begin on Confederation Line
(04-03-2018, 10:41 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Kind of puts some of our testing milestones for our "late spring" opening in perspective relative to Ottawa's November 2018 opening.

Make-or-break testing to begin on Confederation Line

Does anyone (like trainspotter139) know how automated our trains are going to be compared to Ottawa's?

Gobs of footage today out of Ottawa:

Can't wait for Tom (Galloway) to get his chance to do the same here. Smile
(04-25-2018, 09:37 PM)Canard Wrote: Gobs of footage today out of Ottawa:

Can't wait for Tom (Galloway) to get his chance to do the same here. Smile

That's assuming he's re-elected.

Interesting too, and while I am not sure if Ottawa is behind schedule or not, is that they have the trains ready before everything else is complete. That's how it should be done. Now they can do months of testing too. We're not likely to get all the trains before the end of this year, plus they should do enough testing (likely 6 months with all trains).

Ottawa went with Alstom, and they build both the train and signalling, and apparently on time as well. The trains originate in the US, but final assembly was in Ottawa. I'm thinking if the region gets our second phase LRT, just have a transfer point at Fairview Park or Sportsworld, then use Alstom trains for the rest of the Blue Line to Cambridge. Saves a lot of headaches. Plus with final assembly in the region, it means more jobs!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »