Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Market Square
They plan to expand to 2000 students, so more than just the Stantec space may get converted.

Well, this is good news in the sense that it helps out the east end DT. I'd imagine that MS is going to do nice renovations to make the place more please to the eye.
(05-31-2019, 01:51 PM)jeffster Wrote: I'd imagine that MS is going to do nice renovations to make the place more please to the eye.

Yes, maybe something like this.
Tongue 
(05-31-2019, 11:41 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Plot twist: urbd has it almost right. Conestoga mall, not college, is moving into Market Square! Tongue

HAHA! Actually when I read this I was confused for a second because the person who told me about the announcement just said "Conestoga is moving to Market Square" so it could have been either the mall or the college Tongue

(05-31-2019, 12:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 12:33 PM)urbd Wrote: Where's my prize?

I just gave you an upvote. Big Grin

Best prize! thank you, I gave you one too
I expect that renovations will be just to the interior space. I wish they had taken all of Market Square for a major renovation.
(05-31-2019, 01:56 PM)kps Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 01:51 PM)jeffster Wrote: I'd imagine that MS is going to do nice renovations to make the place more please to the eye.

Can't do that in DTK; that was designed to fit in with the Northdale architectural direction!

CTV News:
Market Square will be home to new Conestoga College campus
Great news that Conestoga College is moving in here. But the fact they plan to open by Jan 2020 likely means we won't see substantial changes to the building at least short term.
This is huge news. Very very exciting.

And like others have said there's going to be room to expand if they want/need
(06-01-2019, 07:34 AM)rangersfan Wrote: Great news that Conestoga College is moving in here. But the fact they plan to open by Jan 2020 likely means we won't see substantial changes to the building at least short term.

Given that they are starting with just the Stantec space, they will probably be able to make do with mostly interior renovations for now. If they do expand in the longer term (200,000 sqft would be about 80% of the building) I expect we'll see more changes on the outside.
Any ideas what might change
Complete reclad, for a start. I would have thought it would make sense to get that done before the building fills up again.

(05-31-2019, 01:56 PM)kps Wrote:

Hmmm...not sure that I am in love with what they did there. But still better than the current "look", which is what, 30 years old?
(06-02-2019, 01:29 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 01:56 PM)kps Wrote: Yes, maybe something like this.

Hmmm...not sure that I am in love with what they did there. But still better than the current "look", which is what, 30 years old?

It opened in 1973, if I recall correctly, 46 years ago. But if you look at the "before" and "after" photos on the first page of this thread, they have added much glass since then so it isn't really the 1970s look any more.

It expect that it would be possible to get rid of the brick cladding altogether (assuming there is not a structural wall behind it) and have more glass to make a more pleasant interior space. But that's not a six-month project, since likely no one has yet put pen to paper on any designs.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »