Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Manitou | Tri-Cities MEC | U/C
The plaza at Manitou and Fairway is looking more and more abandoned with the Wendy's demolished. The Aamco service location will be closing May 1, according to signage (moving elsewhere on Manitou) leaving only the Stag Shop as an active tenant.

[Image: kBkuYZ1.jpg]

(04-17-2016, 08:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: The plaza at Manitou and Fairway is looking more and more abandoned with the Wendy's demolished. The Aamco service location will be closing May 1, according to signage (moving elsewhere on Manitou) leaving only the Stag Shop as an active tenant.

[Image: kBkuYZ1.jpg]

I understand that the plans are otherwise, but that site would be perfect for a mid-rise professional building for doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc, etc.
What's going in at Fairway and Manitou again?
I'm not sure, but I'd put money on strip mall or restaurant franchise....

Didn't someone mention some sort of strip mall a couple of months ago.  Memories fade.

By the way, I see that the new stuff going up further down Fairway Rd, while much closer to the street, has been placed far enough back to allow a row of parking between the front facades and the street.  It's like a conspiracy to make the streetscape as soul-sucking as possible.
So much for the Fairway/Manitou plaza...

[Image: chNcOy4.jpg]
Do we know what's going in at the old Fairway & Manitou plaza?
Some information on the development taking place at 685 Fairway Rd, and 10 Manitou Rd.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...8493,d.aXo

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-20-2016, 10:08 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Some information on the development taking place at 685 Fairway Rd, and 10 Manitou Rd.

What a shame.
(05-21-2016, 10:13 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-20-2016, 10:08 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Some information on the development taking place at 685 Fairway Rd, and 10 Manitou Rd.

What a shame.

Not sure what anyone could've expected at this spot but I imagine this will be slightly better than the plaza that was there at least.
Right. We're simply not going to see intensification and walkability everywhere. Some day, maybe, but it simply won't happen anytime soon on Fairway Rd. So let's accept a small improvement as what it is.
(05-21-2016, 03:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Right.  We're simply not going to see intensification and walkability everywhere.  Some day, maybe, but it simply won't happen anytime soon on Fairway Rd.  So let's accept a small improvement as what it is.

I can buy that kind of reasoning at, say, Homer Watson / Bleams, or University / Bridge. But given Fairway Road's proximity to the LRT, giving up on it as a place for people seems bizarre.
1.3 km away from the nearest LRT stop, along one of the busiest roads in the city, 5+ lanes of non-stop traffic, and surrounded by strip malls. It may be bizarre to some, but few developers would choose this location for a high-density mixed development. That's just reality to me.
You mean 700m away from the nearest LRT stop? Block Line is indeed walking distance.

There is plenty of density just on the other side of the LRT corridor along Traynor. People are using these areas on foot already. I doubt anyone has bothered counting any of them or noticing but before the construction there was all kinds of paths worn along the hydro corridor.
It's an improvement. Buildings are adjacent to the street at least.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »