Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
10 Manitou | Tri-Cities MEC | U/C
(04-07-2017, 12:11 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-06-2017, 11:50 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: They'll probably use tables and tablets/cell phones, like the Apple Store does.

TD?  For a teller function?  I suspect not.  Need smart card readers and receipt printers.  Need a place for cash.  Need more secure communication than wifi.  Need to make sure information on the screen is not visible to a customer that might happen to be standing somewhere behind the desk.  

Tablets can work in some use cases but not all of them.

Hate to nitpick, but enterprise grade wifi is completely secure so long as the person deploying it knows what they are doing.
There is no such thing as COMPLETELY secure. Smile Wifi will always be more hackable than a wired connection. In any case, there are many other reasons why tablets are not the right solution for bank tellers.
Wired isn't secure if you have access to the wires, and of course nothing is safe from a strategically placed usb key.

And enterprise grade wifi can be totally secure. (again if the team setting it up knows what they're doing)
Okay, I have to apologize as I must not have had a proper look the first time.

There is indeed a teller counter at this TD, though it's of a design that's rather different than usual and has only three (generously wide) stations.

The rest of my summary was correct, upon second viewing.

---------

Elsewhere on the property: just south of the bank, another building is getting its foundation started. Looks relatively small.
(04-06-2017, 05:48 AM)timc Wrote: No teller counters? How does that work?

That fits in nicely with the staffing plans all banks in North America have to eliminate tellers (now tellers are just a budget cost line) and have you replace them, with YOU doing the banks job at home on your computer. 

Canada's Banks Rethink Bricks, Mortar and Beyond.

Cash as a physical commodity will be a distant memory as will your friendly teller.  

Lining up at the bank is not what they want and as a result they will discourage you from using their bank facility except as a revenue generating site for the bank.