Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hamilton area transit
This just in: the line might get extended to Eastgate within the current project budget, thanks to a promise from the provincial finance minister. http://www.thespec.com/news-story/726349...-eastgate/

Looks like that was enough to seal the needed support at this stage. This vote is sure to pass.
(04-26-2017, 05:44 PM)KevinL Wrote: Looks like that was enough to seal the needed support at this stage. This vote is sure to pass.

Well, I hope so, but I hate to see resistance like this getting them more.  I fear it will encourage further brinkmanship from other regions.
It passed, and with a healthy margin.

This wasn't a case of "resistance...getting them more." Eastgate Square was the terminus studied by the City of Hamilton (at Hamilton taxpayers' expense) for a number of years. The new terminus at the Queenston Traffic Circle was sprung on the city, and didn't have a lot of logic behind it. It would have meant a lot less utility for the route.

This probably still doesn't mean a done deal, knowing Hamilton. And we'll see how much can get done in terms of tendering before the next provincial election. But it's not dying tonight, so that's good.
And less than four hours!
City of Hamilton says it must abandon bus tickets or lose provincial gas tax money
A new deal with Metrolinx will also force the city to pay more to use PRESTO tap cards.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
A story like that kinda makes me glad we didn't go with presto here, despite the convenience of one card for them all.

If the poor residents (who can't pay $6 for a card) KEEP their cards (from when they were last given one), the city/region could then add $2.30 or whatever onto them to cover a single fare. Just because it's $10 minimum for the public doesn't mean the same needs to be enforced for the city.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »