Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Departments
Fire departments are a huge cost for most Canadian municipalities. Generally they are not allowed to strike, but arbitrators have awarded them substantial increases over the years, so the proportion of municipal budgets has been going up.

On the other hand, the number of fires is down substantially, by about a third, over 10 years, even though the population increased more than 10%:
http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/english/F...fires.html

(04-23-2016, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 08:45 PM)jamincan Wrote: It is strange that we spend lavishly on fire departments and then EMS gets just barely enough to manage.

... and then we send firefighters (and massive fire trucks) to do EMS teams' jobs.

I'd argue this point.  Firefighters might come and do "First Aid", but they are far from performing the actual jobs of our EMS staff.  They are not just Ambulance Drivers, and are almost qualified to be a doctor on wheels... yet we keep them low on the pay scale, as they are not the true "heroes" that fire fighters are.

Don't get me started on Fire Fighters... although if I could do it all over again, maybe I'd get a job where I'm paid to eat, sleep, work out, wash the truck (and my platoons vehicles too), etc.... with an occasional call for service in my 48 hr shift before I start the next 2 weeks of days off..... [Yes, envy plays a small part]

Since fires are down, and they don't have the training EMS has, they want to start performing those duties to ensure their jobs, and justify their outrageous salary.  But in actual truth, traditionally, EMS or police are first on scene at medical calls... so perhaps we can cross train the police, and let the Chilli cookers stay back at the hall.

Coke
(04-25-2016, 11:08 AM)Coke6pk Wrote:
(04-23-2016, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: ... and then we send firefighters (and massive fire trucks) to do EMS teams' jobs.

I'd argue this point.  Firefighters might come and do "First Aid", but they are far from performing the actual jobs of our EMS staff.  They are not just Ambulance Drivers, and are almost qualified to be a doctor on wheels... yet we keep them low on the pay scale, as they are not the true "heroes" that fire fighters are.

Don't get me started on Fire Fighters... although if I could do it all over again, maybe I'd get a job where I'm paid to eat, sleep, work out, wash the truck (and my platoons vehicles too), etc.... with an occasional call for service in my 48 hr shift before I start the next 2 weeks of days off..... [Yes, envy plays a small part]

Since fires are down, and they don't have the training EMS has, they want to start performing those duties to ensure their jobs, and justify their outrageous salary.  But in actual truth, traditionally, EMS or police are first on scene at medical calls... so perhaps we can cross train the police, and let the Chilli cookers stay back at the hall.

Coke

Green is not a good colour on you Coke.
LOL... I'll tell you a quick story why I feel the way I do...

About 11 years ago, I was on scene at a residential home fire.  Police were first on scene, EMS right behind followed by FD.  There were two occupants in the building, and both were trapped.  2 police officers and 1 volunteer auxiliary officer entered the building the get at the two occupants.  Those three were sent to GRH for smoke inhalation after both occupants were extracted alive. (1 occupant succumbed to his injuries the following day) Occupants and police received care from EMS immediately.  While this was happening, all the FF's stood in full respitory gear by their truck.  They didn't go into the house as "They don't go in until the Captain gives the OK".

While I completely understand health and safety concerns, don't expect pay like the "Guy who runs into burning buildings" the public thinks they are getting. 

My respect level fell that day for fire fighters, but up a huge notch for the police and EMS.

Coke
I hadn't realized this, but fire dispatch was already merged for the northern townships and KW, and for Cambridge and North Dumfries. Now a further merger is going to combine both those into a single Regional dispatch. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/916...oo-region/
(02-07-2019, 02:02 PM)KevinL Wrote: I hadn't realized this, but fire dispatch was already merged for the northern townships and KW, and for Cambridge and North Dumfries. Now a further merger is going to combine both those into a single Regional dispatch. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/916...oo-region/

And soon will be combined fire departments I bet....
One step closer to amalgamation?

(02-07-2019, 02:36 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 02:02 PM)KevinL Wrote: I hadn't realized this, but fire dispatch was already merged for the northern townships and KW, and for Cambridge and North Dumfries. Now a further merger is going to combine both those into a single Regional dispatch. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/916...oo-region/

And soon will be combined fire departments I bet....

Firefighting dispatch and firefighting operations are very different things. Combining two dispatches into one isn't necessarily a precursor to combining seven departments into one.
I'm surprised we haven't given the union of police and ems
I also note the Record story seems to be saying that Kitchener Fire currently dispatches for KW and the 3 northern townships; they are just adding Cambridge and North Dumfries. So fire dispatch for the entire region will be handled by Kitchener, not by a Regional organization.

I wonder how much sense it would make to have a single Regional organization handle 911 and police, fire, and ambulance dispatch for the entire Region? And, as a practical matter, how different is that from what we will soon have?
(02-11-2019, 01:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I wonder how much sense it would make to have a single Regional organization handle 911 and police, fire, and ambulance dispatch for the entire Region? 

I've heard a rumour that this is exactly what will happen in a new communications centre at the new WRPS Central Division (Old Provincial Courthouse)

Coke
What's the timeline for the provincial courthouse?
I think its still a few years away. 

Also heard that the Region will be operating a new 311 service out of there as well.

Coke

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »