Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Montreal Light Automated Metro
(06-04-2016, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: It's not Light Rail!

I do regret titling the thread that way, now. Should it be renamed Réseau électrique métropolitain‎, or is there a more suitable English title?

"Light Automated Metro" would probably be the most fitting, since that's the genetic title for the classification of the technology they're exploring here (Bombardier ICTS/ALRT, MATRA/Siemens VAL, etc.).
... I don't suppose there's a diagram or table of terms? Light I understand as being in contrast to Heavy (ye olde CN Rail). Automated means it probably doesn't have an operator in each vehicle. Metro... metropolitan? It operates in a large urban area?

Light Rail Transit (the carriages and contents are light compared to CN; they operate on rails instead of, say, on a road or in the air or something; the purpose is moving things (mostly people)) is the easiest one for me to grok by disassembly.
I'll write up a nice long post with photos when I get home. I know, there are a ton of terms and it gets a bit muddy.

LRT = trams on a (primarily) dedicated right-of-way. This is not what Montreal is looking at getting.

They're looking at getting Bomardier's latest version of the technology they used in Vancouver on the SkyTrain, which utilizes small vehicles on short headways with high frequency, automated, and powered by a linear induction motor.

Competitors would be MATRA's VAL 206/208, its successor, Siemens' CityVal (launch customer Rennes Ligne b, which I'm planing on being there for opening day in 2018), and AnsaldoBreda Driverless Metro (Copenhagen).

VAL is one of my favourite systems. I've riden a couple but not Lille or Toulouse, where they really get to show off what the technology can do. This video does a great job of showing just how crazy the headways are in Lille.

(06-04-2016, 10:26 PM)Canard Wrote: It's not Light Rail!

If you type it in CAPS it might ease your pain, as the rest of us see the above rail services all as LRT  Tongue
...which isn't correct, I'm afraid - and that sort of confusion and fear is exactly what Rob Ford used as amo for "Subways subways subways!".

Your statement would lump the Scarborough rt, an Intermedite Capcity Transit System or Automated Light Metro, into the same category as their streetcar system.
This is getting muddier... :/  The REM/CDPQ Infra site is even using the term "Light Rail" now:

[Image: 2fiche_en.jpg]

My guess:  Bombardier will take their ICTS MK III Vehicles ("INNOVIA Metro 300") like they are building for Vancouver and Kuala Lumpur, and swap third-rail for catenary.  For reference, here's that vehicle:

[Image: 6192991796_5196827e66_b.jpg]

The wide metal plate between the rails is the reaction plate for the LIM - Linear Motors offer direct thrust so there's no wheel-to-rail slip issues in inclement weather.  Perfect choice for Montreal - just have to watch the snow and ice buildup, since the gap is small between the reaction plate and the stator (electromagnetic coils) on the train.  Toronto never quite figured out how to deal with this on the rt and it's often down when there's a bad storm in the winter.  My guess is they don't want to pay drivers to run trains continuously overnight (the rt is semi-automatic, still requires an operator, because TTC) and would rather just shut it down and replace it with buses when this happens.  On a fully automated system, this isn't an issue.

Earlier on in the project I had read in multiple places that they had settled on "SkyTrain" (Vancouver) tech, after falling in love with VAL in Lille/Toulouse which certain key players kept bringing up.  VAL likely won't be considered because of the climate (rubber tires) - this is the reason the entire Montreal Metro is underground.

FWIW, parts of the Eglinton Crosstown (LRT) will actually operate with ATO, in the tunnels.  Driver pushes "door close" and that's it - ala Scarborough rt.  I can't think of any other "tram-like" systems that operate that way.

I notice that there is no mention of connecting with the metro. That is absurd in Montreal.
(06-12-2016, 09:34 AM)plam Wrote: I notice that there is no mention of connecting with the metro. That is absurd in Montreal.

It's not emphasized, mainly because the routes to not heavily overlap. This system will continue to visit Gare Centrale like the line it is replacing; that station has multiple connections to the Metro via the Underground City downtown. Two other Metro connections are also planned.
(06-12-2016, 01:14 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-12-2016, 09:34 AM)plam Wrote: I notice that there is no mention of connecting with the metro. That is absurd in Montreal.

It's not emphasized, mainly because the routes to not heavily overlap. This system will continue to visit Gare Centrale like the line it is replacing; that station has multiple connections to the Metro via the Underground City downtown. Two other Metro connections are also planned.

Planned but not budgeted. Plus, as I mentioned before, the Gare Centrale connection is probably going to be way longer than all other Montreal connections.
The Transport Minister is pushing for more Metro connections in the negotiation process.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/m...-1.3551826
A very critical piece of the proposal as a whole, in the Gazette. I think they sell the planners a bit short on some things, but much of it deserves consideration.
(07-30-2016, 07:18 PM)KevinL Wrote: A very critical piece of the proposal as a whole, in the Gazette. I think they sell the planners a bit short on some things, but much of it deserves consideration.

The blue line Metro extension has been something that's been needed for a long time, in particular. It would probably be a better use of taxpayer dollars than this project. Somehow that line just stopped one station short of where it could attract a large pool of riders at Pie-IX (which used to have a sort of BRT until someone got run over by a bus.)

Would also give Montreal alternate access to Olympic Stadium if they ever figure out what to do with it.
(08-10-2016, 07:26 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: Would also give Montreal alternate access to Olympic Stadium if they ever figure out what to do with it.

The blue line is quite far from the Olympic Stadium. You'd need to take the bus from the blue line to the green line. And the green line is where there's more population anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »