Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
Anyone else sick of corten steel? IMO that whole empty stretch along Weber should be made into a linear park but it's regional land so nothing will ever happen (see Civic Center Park)

(07-09-2020, 07:37 PM)Lens Wrote: Anyone else sick of corten steel? IMO that whole empty stretch along Weber should be made into a linear park but it's regional land so nothing will ever happen (see Civic Center Park)
City of Kitchener public art on Region of Waterloo land?
There is something tall and twisty wrapped in black plastic in front of Circa 1877.
Aporia is being restored this week. I was honestly worried that when the police station moves into the building, they would get rid of it so I'm happy to see it getting restored. https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/a-long-stan...-1.5020727
Interesting. I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration. I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak. Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

By the way, all these years and this is the first time I've noticed how much the centre part of the sculpture looks like a butt! Smile
(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: By the way, all these years and this is the first time I've noticed how much the centre part of the sculpture looks like a butt!  Smile

The hoarding breaks the visual link between the centre part and the two ends, thus hiding its actual form, which is that of a dog turd. Tongue
I love the way that, even forty years after its installation, Aporia can still generate reactions.  Exactly as modern art is meant to do, no?

(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration.  I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak.  Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

Contrary to the reports on CTV, no restoration work happened last week, so I was still able to get some "before" shots on Sunday evening.

Hope someone will post some good pics of the monkey tower in front of Circa 1877.

I see in the news that the monument to the homeless is still going forward. Not sure if a location has been selected for that one.
(07-21-2020, 08:16 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(07-12-2020, 09:30 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Interesting.  I thought the weathering (deterioration?) was part of the artist's original vision, so I hope he's on board with the restoration.  I am surprised that the article does not bother to mention the artist, Ed Zelenak.  Somebody needs to get before + after pics!

Contrary to the reports on CTV, no restoration work happened last week, so I was still able to get some "before" shots on Sunday evening.

The restoration is now underway.  The sculpture should look brand new (I.e. shiny a bright red) when the work is finished this week.  I haven’t seen any details of how the restoration is being done - some sort of acrylic finish or just a coat of paint, or something else.
I believe this is a primer coat. Some sanding appears to have been done prior to applying the primer.

No longer primer. And clearly it's orange, not red.

Oooh, shiny! If memory serves it was originally a slighly orangey red, but that looks much more orange. I wonder if the artist was involved in the restoration?

It will certainly be hard to miss .... I hope it doesn't attract the wrong sort of attention.

I can't say I understand it, but I am kinda fond of it.

Aporia, born again!

Love it! Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »