Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
And just before the barrage of negative comments come flooding in regarding it, I'm going to jump in and pre-emptively say that it's in my top-ten favourite pieces anywhere - and I absolutely love how well it works with the fantastic brutalist concrete architecture of the courthouse itself. So wish I could get inside and explore that building sometime. Absolutely fantastic place, and really hope it finds a use soon.

As always, I offer up my yard if it ever needs a home.
(04-21-2016, 09:18 PM)Canard Wrote: And just before the barrage of negative comments come flooding in regarding it, I'm going to jump in and pre-emptively say that it's in my top-ten favourite pieces anywhere - and I absolutely love how well it works with the fantastic brutalist concrete architecture of the courthouse itself.  So wish I could get inside and explore that building sometime.  Absolutely fantastic place, and really hope it finds a use soon.

I like the old Provincial courthouse as well and I often wonder whether they'll ever find a good new use for it. Certainly hope so.  Wrt the sculpture, does the condition of it not bother you?  I'm not an artist, but I find that it looks neglected.  I'm going on a vault tour at KWAG this weekend, so maybe I'll able to ask someone about it.
I happened to be in Brampton with a friend yesterday near both the new and the old courthouse, and it gave us cause to remember all of the different courthouses in Ontario with the same style. He doesn’t live in Kitchener, but knows the city; he remembered “the sausage” and joked about whether it was reproduced in front of other courthouses. He meant the descriptor in an endearing way.

On the topic of the artwork in front of 144 Park, I think it’s neat, and it's good of the building for putting up some art for others to enjoy.
I wonder if this thread couldn't be given a new title to reflect public art in the Region (allegedly weird or otherwise)? There are a good number of pieces coming in the context of LRT construction, plus the piece now overdue for installation at the Queen St side of the Waterloo County Courthouse, so lots of room for comment in the coming year.
(04-22-2016, 10:18 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if this thread couldn't be given a new title to reflect public art in the Region (allegedly weird or otherwise)?  There are a good number of pieces coming in the context of LRT construction, plus the piece now overdue for installation at the Queen St side of the Waterloo County Courthouse, so lots of room for comment in the coming year.

Good idea. Done!

(Also: Drake sure has a habit of incredibly specific thread titles!)
We recently had a new "Public Art in Waterloo Regon" thread, but I can't find it, so I'll post this here:

There is a Janes Walk on "Contemporary Art in the Downtown core" at 1300hrs tomorrow, Saturday May 7th.  The notice caught my eye becausethey will be meeting at the (recently discussed) "Aporia" sculpture at 200 Frederick St.

Here is the relevant link:   http://janeswalk.org/canada/kitchener/co...town-core/

I wasn't sure which thread this belonged in - yesterday, a large panel was installed behind the Glockenspiel in Speakers Corner.  It is a bright blue sky/green trees scenery thing.  I am wondering who the aesthetically-challenged person was who decided that the repaired and re-installed glockenspiel wasn't sufficiently kitsch on its own and needed a bucolic background to complete the effect?
In the Photography Forum? No wonder I couldn't find it!

I should be a thread in the Arts and Culture forum - the coming ION artists competition should generate discussion as well as photos.
A piece of artwork on the south wall of Len's Mills on Moore went up last week, adjacent to the Spur Line. It's evidently been commissioned by the Clay and Glass. I find it very neat, and it livens up a stretch of the Spur Line which is maybe not the most attractive stretch. (Sorry, but I don't know how to attach photos.)
Does it liven up the Spur line? Because technically, once you get to the opposite side of the road from Len's Mills, there are official detour signs letting you know that cars were squatting on regional land first, and it's therefore not part of the Spur Line, which takes a coule roads in order to detour around it.  Dodgy
(05-31-2016, 10:40 PM)MidTowner Wrote: (Sorry, but I don't know how to attach photos.)

Click the "Browse ..." button below the text box, under the green "Attachments" bar.   Easy peasy!  Smile
(06-01-2016, 10:09 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-31-2016, 10:40 PM)MidTowner Wrote: (Sorry, but I don't know how to attach photos.)

Click the "Browse ..." button below the text box, under the green "Attachments" bar.   Easy peasy!  Smile

I don't know what that means.  I'm able to post photos using "tinypics", but I think that's considered a bit archaic.

(06-01-2016, 10:28 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-01-2016, 10:09 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Click the "Browse ..." button below the text box, under the green "Attachments" bar.   Easy peasy!  Smile

I don't know what that means.  I'm able to post photos using "tinypics", but I think that's considered a bit archaic.

This button is what I'm talking about.  There is no need to upload to tinypics or imgur etc, just add the photo directly by attaching it:

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm having flashbacks to the kinds of conversations I used to have with tech support back when I was still working! So how does one get to "Attached Files"?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »