Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
Not sure if this has  a thread that it should belong in, [mod edit: This is the thread now! ~Markster] but apparently 144 Park St (Waterloo) has added a piece of art in front of their building. It looks like a faux abstract attempt at recognizing the locations former affiliation with rail. It is oddly positioned behind hydro poles that seem to be the dominant street art of our town.

Observe:

[Image: VPtzmdJ.jpg]

Looking from the opposite direction and avoiding the hydro poles:

[Image: 7BEugou.jpg]

I have passed by it a few times on the 7
it's pretty bah to me, not sure if it is because it is so random on the route or because it looks like several corpses of railway crossing signals put on display like it is centre stage in some kind of bizarre circus.
I don't actually hate the piece, but the placement is unfortunate, imo. A friend of mine who lives at 144 dislikes it so much that she's considering asking the condo board to have it moved or removed.
Reminds me of a similar ode to traffic signals that exists in London, England. It's titled Traffic Light Tree.

[Image: IMG_2698.JPG]
I like it, though the location does leave a bit to be desired.
I like the piece (it's been there for a couple months now, I think), but what I found odd was that it wasn't on the Iron Horse Trail. Honestly, the first time I drove past it, I had a double-take, thinking there was a new railway crossing that I needed to look out for.
As I understand, new developments are required to have street art in front of the building and placement was dictated by the city, as per approval for registration. The actual piece was not selected by the condo board or residents, but had been selected back during construction, and I'm not sure if it was Mady or those that took over after.

(04-18-2016, 09:37 AM)Markster Wrote: I like the piece (it's been there for a couple months now, I think), but what I found odd was that it wasn't on the Iron Horse Trail. Honestly, the first time I drove past it, I had a double-take, thinking there was a new railway crossing that I needed to look out for.

Well, if the 144 residents decide to give it the heave-ho, maybe Waterloo or Kitchener can pick it up at a bargain price to place it along the trail!
I like it too; to each their own I guess...I don't understand why somebody would go so far as to complain about.
(04-18-2016, 10:06 AM)myfaceisonfire Wrote: I like it too; to each their own I guess...I don't understand why somebody would go so far as to complain about.

Because we live in a world where everyone is "special" and "whiney" is an accepted way of protest.  Confused

P.S. I like it too!
Just chiming in - I really like this piece a lot! I smile whenever I go past it.

It's art - and in light of that, it's great to discuss opinions about it.  Like it or hate it, it's great to hear what everyone thinks.  If it invokes a reaction or an emotion, it has done its job.
Speaking of weird art, does anybody remember the details of the big red sculpture outside the old Provincial Courthouse on Frederick St?   There seems to be no plaque or anything nearby to identify the work or the artist.  I recall that the same person did the "Great Arctic Tundra Worm" at UofW that was blown up.  I've often wondered if the piece was intended to weather as it has, or whether it's a failure to maintain.  Does it belong to the Province or to the City?
I don't actually object to its form, scale or colour but I find its faded, seam-ridden look very unappealing.
(04-21-2016, 04:47 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There seems to be no plaque or anything nearby to identify the work or the artist.

Aporia, Ed Zelenak.

(04-21-2016, 04:59 PM)kps Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 04:47 PM)panamaniac Wrote: There seems to be no plaque or anything nearby to identify the work or the artist.

Aporia, Ed Zelenak.

Well done!  Do you know if it was intended to age as it has, or is it just overdue for refurbishment?   Or does my mind play tricks on me when I think that it was redder and uniform in colour when it was new (over 35 years ago!)?
(04-21-2016, 05:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Well done!  Do you know if it was intended to age as it has, or is it just overdue for refurbishment?   Or does my mind play tricks on me when I think that it was redder and uniform in colour when it was new (over 35 years ago!)?

No idea. I remember the same, but I could be equally mistaken.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »