Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Public/Street Art in Waterloo Region
Cameron Heights 50th anniversary mural, completed in time for today's event.

There's a new mural on Eby St (literally!), done in conjunction with the new mid-week market at Kitchener Market.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5189363
That Eby St art is awesome!
A gorgeous (and appropriate!) new mural on the Torreense Store building, at Mill & Stirling.

That is beautiful. Now if only the corner of Benton at Courtland ...
I'm impressed.  Any idea who commissioned it?
(10-06-2019, 06:27 AM)jgsz Wrote: I'm impressed.  Any idea who commissioned it?

It's got the Torreense Store logo, and it's on their building, so I have to believe it's their mural.

(10-06-2019, 03:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That is beautiful.  Now if only the corner of Benton at Courtland ...

Yeah, that corner really could use one. Blame the city for tearing down the end unit in the set of rowhouses (for the never-finished Benton St expansion) decades ago and leaving us with a concrete block wall.

The challenge now is that the person owning (what is now) the last rowhouse owns that wall. And few people would be willing to spend the money to put a huge mural on the side of their housing units. If it were even a condo building it might be easier, but the rowhouses are freehold so it's one person. Unless the city were to make amends decades later and offer to pay for a nice mural, I expect we'll be stuck with that wall of concrete blocks.
(10-06-2019, 07:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 03:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: That is beautiful.  Now if only the corner of Benton at Courtland ...

Yeah, that corner really could use one. Blame the city for tearing down the end unit in the set of rowhouses (for the never-finished Benton St expansion) decades ago and leaving us with a concrete block wall.

The challenge now is that the person owning (what is now) the last rowhouse owns that wall. And few people would be willing to spend the money to put a huge mural on the side of their housing units. If it were even a condo building it might be easier, but the rowhouses are freehold so it's one person. Unless the city were to make amends decades later and offer to pay for a nice mural, I expect we'll be stuck with that wall of concrete blocks.

I wonder if it’s true that the end unit owner owns the wall. The (fairly thick, if I recall its appearance correctly) wall must surely be built mostly on the land formerly occupied by the original end unit, and as such might be mostly owned by the City.
Wow, that's truly amazing. Very impressive!
(10-06-2019, 10:03 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(10-06-2019, 07:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yeah, that corner really could use one. Blame the city for tearing down the end unit in the set of rowhouses (for the never-finished Benton St expansion) decades ago and leaving us with a concrete block wall.

I wonder if it’s true that the end unit owner owns the wall. The (fairly thick, if I recall its appearance correctly) wall must surely be built mostly on the land formerly occupied by the original end unit, and as such might be mostly owned by the City.

Based on the city's GIS system, the property line is not at the wall, it's further out. Possibly the city ceded some of the land from the demolished rowhouse. Image below:

An old side by side

Attached Files Image(s)

I took one of my kids for a walk on Thursday evening along the LRT down Charles St and noticed the tagging on the art mural near the Market LRT station, I never realized that the graffiti was likely down the night before. It's a shame but not unexpected.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/964...tallation/

The graffiti of a wall mural is unconscionable. It is so disrespectful for the artists that created it. I know that graffiti happens everywhere but I don't understand why? Why do harm to someone else's art work?
Stop it already!
On the fence behind Suddaby Public School.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »