Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Urban Cores of the region?
What would you rank and order the urban cores of the region in terms of preference, growth,  historic nature, urbanity, projects ?

the Main cores in no particular order

1 - Waterloo(Northdale)
2 - Waterloo (Uptown)

3- Kitchener (DTK)
4 - Kitchener (Belmont village)

5 - Kitchener(Bridgeport)

6 - Cambridge (Preston)
7 - Cambridge ( Hespeler)
8 - Cambridge( Galt)
9 - New Hamburg
10 - Elmira
11 - St Jacobs
12 - Ayr
13 - Wellesley
14 other ones (please list )

They're all so different, I'm not really sure how you'd go about ranking them. Two notable missing ones from a historical perspective are Doon and Blair.
(04-23-2021, 11:08 AM)kalis0490 Wrote: What would you rank and order the urban cores of the region in terms of preference, growth,  historic nature, urbanity, projects ?

the Main cores in no particular order

1 - Waterloo(Northdale)
2 - Waterloo (Uptown)

3- Kitchener (DTK)
4 - Kitchener (Belmont village)

5 - Kitchener(Bridgeport)

6 - Cambridge (Preston)
7 - Cambridge ( Hespeler)
8 - Cambridge( Galt)
9 - New Hamburg
10 - Elmira
11 - St Jacobs
12 - Ayr
13 - Wellesley
14 other ones (please list )

Hmm...

My top 3:

Galt
St Jacobs
Belmont Village

Honourable mention

Hespeler
DTK

To be sure, I don't think any of these fit all categories. DTK does get a lot of points because of it's urbanist and growth. But perhaps I am looking at this more from a 'tourist' point of view.
They're very different so it's pretty hard to compare. If I was to just compare the cores in regards to how they feel as cities - the architecture, urban spaces, amenities/businesses - then downtown Kitchener definitely comes out on top. If I was to judge it based on the nicest place to visit for the day as a tourist, then maybe St. Jacobs, Elmira or Galt.
#'s 1, 4, 11, 12, and 13 are "urban cores"?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »