Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trio on Belmont | 14 fl, 12 fl, 8 fl | Complete
(02-05-2015, 02:16 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: IMO there will be more then enough people in the area to support more retail, at least a convenience store (preferably 7 Eleven or Mac's Smile ) a pizza place, a Subway or some other sub/pita place and a Starbucks or another Tim Hortons. I'm no retail expert but with all the existing residential the new townhouses on Gage and the Apartments in the area (and probably many more developments soon) I highly doubt they would have an issue getting retail units leased.

There's a little plaza on Belmont & Karn that has a good convenience store, they even have hot food at the halal place that's pretty good.

(02-05-2015, 02:16 PM)TMKM94 Wrote: IMO there will be more then enough people in the area to support more retail, at least a convenience store (preferably 7 Eleven or Mac's Smile ) a pizza place, a Subway or some other sub/pita place and a Starbucks or another Tim Hortons. I'm no retail expert but with all the existing residential the new townhouses on Gage and the Apartments in the area (and probably many more developments soon) I highly doubt they would have an issue getting retail units leased.

Big John's Submarine has been in the same store on Belmont Strip for 40+ years. They used to have some of the best sub sandwiches in town. Haven't been there for many years. They even survived a behind the counter illicit products bust.

[Image: PMubXw5.jpg]
I should have said the area could support another convenience store, IMO unless CJ`s has new owners they could use some competition, they short change customers and have way over priced items. I think the area could use a 7 eleven or Mac's. I was suggesting Subway because they don't need much space but it would probably hurt Big John's business so I take that back.
I think A frozen yogurt or ice cream parlor would also be successful.
I had to dig, but I did find a working link to the staff report

A few thoughts on this project:
-Intensification of Belmont is a good thing, but I echo the other comments, mixed-use would have been nicer to see
-I think those interior units facing the parking garage, I think from building A, could be challenging to live in with car noise, fumes, and lights a constant source of distraction
-I am disappointed with the city essentially trading part of a public good (the Iron Horse) so the developer could build closer to the property line
-I am upset that so many mature trees (50+?) had to come down as a result of the above; they provided a nice wind break year round, and shade in the summer
-the Record article indicates that the project will take 6 years to build out, so that construction fence right next to the trail edge is going to be there a long time essentially narrowing the trail's useable width and forcing trail users pass through a construction site for years
-there seemed to be some consultation with adjacent property owners, but trail users had little opportunity to contribute
-according to the committee of adjustment minutes no wind study was done because of the difference in heights between this property and the surrounding properties; I suspect that in winter, snow will likely accumulate on the trail being right in the lee of the buildings
-I would be very surprised if a fence didn't go up between the trail and the building at some point; which is conveniently not shown in the visual
-it isn't clear who, city or developer, will be responsible for maintaining that new green space/gazebo between the trail and the development, once it is installed by the developer
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Yeah, they kinda shit the bed this development I think, at least with regards to how it interacts with the trail and even how it interacts with Belmont. I don't really understand why they needed to do anything to the strip of forest that grew along the trail.

[Image: Ke6HTB6.jpg]
Some more photos for posterity. Taken January 30, 2015.

Quite the drastic shock. Ostensibly the new landscaped trail will be better, but how many years before that plays out? They didn't need to uproot absolutely every tree.

Attached Files Image(s)

One of the cranes has been partially installed today.
One crane is now up, I think it's for the 14th floor building.
I drove by yesterday and it looked as though some ground floor walls were already up. Is that possible? It seems remarkably fast.
I also saw that driving by yesterday panamaniac, your eyes did not deceive you. Does seem incredibly fast for KW standards.
That's been the case with a few construction projects recently. Could we be seeing the bar being raised across the region?
The walls were either put up on the 2nd or 3rd none of the walls were up on the 1st,

I think we need rangersfan to update the thread title to "under construction" now! Smile
Well it looks like they're working on the third floor now. Grabbed this quick pic as I was heading up to Waterloo on the Iron Horse trail. The building is pretty close to the trail, I hope it interacts better than the iron horse towers do.

[Image: 1uOfdaW.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »