Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trio on Belmont | 14 fl, 12 fl, 8 fl | Complete
Another angle ... imposing, yes, but that's to be expected of a 13-storey building in a low-rise neighburhood.

This is a great example of how to make a slab-like massing building much more attractive than the standard drewlo stuff. I doubt it costs much if any more than their stuff either.
From that angle it seems like the building would actually look better if it were twice as tall.
(04-11-2016, 09:17 PM)Lens Wrote: This is a great example of how to make a slab-like massing building much more attractive than the standard drewlo stuff. I doubt it costs much if any more than their stuff either.

I really like the way this turned out.  Interesting, and something different.
(04-11-2016, 09:17 PM)Lens Wrote: This is a great example of how to make a slab-like massing building much more attractive than the standard drewlo stuff. I doubt it costs much if any more than their stuff either.

Not much more expensive than the basic slab, no, especially as a percentage of total cost. 

That said, not all Drewlo buildings are equally grim: for example, Iron Horse Towers looks much better than Fallowfield Towers.
Permits have been issued for 2 more buildings (8 storey and 12 storey) and a parking garage (3 storey) on the site.
I like how this is looking, and I think it's good to bring more residents to Belmont...but it's actually a fair hike from these rental buildings to Belmont Village, and there aren't that many amenities in very near proximity to them. It would have been nice for a development of three towers with over 400 residential units to have some commercial component to serve them, and to extend the commercial zone south on Belmont.

The corner store across the street on Belmont has a pretty good selection of stuff and some delicious smelling takeaway food. It's about a km or 15 minutes of walking up to Belmont village or a bit farther down to the Sobeys plaza. Those certainly aren't arduous distances but it's enough to most people would probably drive.
(04-21-2016, 08:55 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I like how this is looking, and I think it's good to bring more residents to Belmont...but it's actually a fair hike from these rental buildings to Belmont Village, and there aren't that many amenities in very near proximity to them. It would have been nice for a development of three towers with over 400 residential units to have some commercial component to serve them, and to extend the commercial zone south on Belmont.

It's only about half a kilometre to Glasgow St/Belmont Village, no?  It's certainly not in the middle of an urban hotbed, but there is a convenience store and food store just up and across Belmont, the Legion Hall across Gage St, and a pastry shop/café a short hike up Gage.  More amenities will come, hopefully (I wonder what will happen with the big, empty lot directly across Belmont from this development?), but it's not a walker's desert, especially with the Iron Horse Trail right at your doorstep.

I also think this is the best looking new rental building in town.  Has anybody been in to see the units?
(04-21-2016, 08:55 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I like how this is looking, and I think it's good to bring more residents to Belmont...but it's actually a fair hike from these rental buildings to Belmont Village, and there aren't that many amenities in very near proximity to them. It would have been nice for a development of three towers with over 400 residential units to have some commercial component to serve them, and to extend the commercial zone south on Belmont.

I think this isn't really all that far from amenities, on foot, by bike, or by bus. But the area around it is also zoned for mixed-use, so this development can provide the residential base for commercial uses in nearby developments.
(04-21-2016, 11:19 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think this isn't really all that far from amenities, on foot, by bike, or by bus. But the area around it is also zoned for mixed-use, so this development can provide the residential base for commercial uses in nearby developments.

It's not further than I typically walk, but I think for a lot of people Belmont Village is further than they normally would. Clasher said it very well: "Those certainly aren't arduous distances but it's enough to most people would probably drive."

Very good point that the zoning around here readily allows for the types of amenities these residents will want and need. They won't be as close as the ground floor of their building, but hopefully the people living here will be served by more nearby soon.
(04-22-2016, 08:00 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(04-21-2016, 11:19 AM)mpd618 Wrote: I think this isn't really all that far from amenities, on foot, by bike, or by bus. But the area around it is also zoned for mixed-use, so this development can provide the residential base for commercial uses in nearby developments.

It's not further than I typically walk, but I think for a lot of people Belmont Village is further than they normally would. Clasher said it very well: "Those certainly aren't arduous distances but it's enough to most people would probably drive."

750m (10 minutes' walk) to Belmont Village, the same to Sobeys.  Hopefully our transportation culture will gradually change so that most people won't view a 10-minute walk as arduous.
Yep, Clasher pointed out both that the distance is not very much, but nonetheless further than many people would walk.

(04-22-2016, 04:56 PM)MidTowner Wrote: Yep, Clasher pointed out both that the distance is not very much, but nonetheless further than many people would walk.

Right.  And I said that I hope some day in the future this will change ...
I'm pretty sure some people have moved in already. I could be wrong (I was last year LOL) but I believe construction of the 12 floor building is starting soon. There are Construction machines and a hole close to Belmont and i'm pretty sure I saw the start of a foundation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »