Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Trio on Belmont | 14 fl, 12 fl, 8 fl | Complete
I liked what I saw of them, but was put off when they said they don't allow animals over 14lbs, not because they are legally allowed to forbid them (they aren't), and that tells me a lot about what kind of managers they would be.

Do they actually say 14 pounds? If so, that's illegal - it should be in kilograms (we're Metric).
Not very funny when it's part of someone's family you're joking about being banned.
So is it illegal in Ontario to ban pets from apartment buildings? I wasn't aware of this.
(11-13-2016, 07:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: So is it illegal in Ontario to ban pets from apartment buildings?  I wasn't aware of this.

Well, strictly speaking I believe any lease provision that purports to ban pets is unenforceable. I am not aware that a landlord can be penalized for putting such a provision in a lease, but they will not be successful in attempting to enforce such a provision. I’m unclear about more specific provisions such as “no barking” or “no large animals” but I’m guessing that enforcement would have to depend on nuisance in general and not upon any specific lease provision. Not a lawyer however so don’t rely on anything I say.
Thanks. Some reading says the landlord can refuse to rent to someone with a pet, but cannot terminate a lease for that same reason.

However, if you are renting a condo unit, the condo rules/bylaws do have legal force, and the condo's board can order the pet to be removed (even if you are a tenant) if it's violating those rules. In this case, the condo bylaws (which ignore who is actually living in the unit) will overrule the landlord-tenant legislation. So it's renter beware if you are planning to rent a condo unit, with a pet in tow!
I believe that's all correct as regarding condo bylaws. An owner of a condo suite has to abide by condo bylaws, and require that his or her tenants do, too.

In an apartment building, it is clear cut that a no-pet clause in a rental agreement is unenforceable. I don't think an apartment owner can refuse to rent because of pets, either, but practically I don't see how that can be enforced- the LTB only mediates tenant relationships.

I agree with Viewfromthe42 that, if the property manager is trying to enforce illegal requirements, or (almost worse) isn't aware of the law, that's a bad sign of their professionalism generally. It really turns me off when I see rental ads trying to specify "one person" or, worse, "no kids," and when I was renting I would not reply to those ads. Even if they weren't discriminating against me, it's a bad sign that they feel that they can flout the law, and who knows what they would try down the road.

(11-13-2016, 12:49 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Not very funny when it's part of someone's family you're joking about being banned.

Huh No one's joking about anything. I agree, pets are family.
It's not "illegal" to use imperial measurements in a rental ad, so he assumed you were making a joke there.
Up to 10 floors now.

Attached Files Image(s)

Second crane went up on the base of the third building today.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
These buildings look so good. I smile whenever I bike by on the Iron Horse Trail.

It's disappointing though that they're not two-floor units - it really looks like they should be, from the way it looks.
The project is coming together pretty quickly. I didn't realize that work had begun on the third building.

(01-20-2017, 07:44 AM)Canard Wrote: It's disappointing though that they're not two-floor units - it really looks like they should be, from the way it looks.

Unfortunately most people prefer a single-floor condo, so there will probably not be many two-floor ones being built.
(01-22-2017, 04:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-20-2017, 07:44 AM)Canard Wrote: It's disappointing though that they're not two-floor units - it really looks like they should be, from the way it looks.

Unfortunately most people prefer a single-floor condo, so there will probably not be many two-floor ones being built.

I could take or leave 2 floor units, they might add some prestige.  What I am disappointed about is the lack of units with more bedrooms, or more family oriented buildings.

Seems like if you have a family and want to live in a condo/apartment, one must either spend almost a million on a deluxe penthouse unit, or must take up space in a low income building.  Seems like there's some middle ground missing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »