Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arabella Park Beer Bar
The sampler size of beer is pretty widespread, but appreciated as an offering. They have said that they only want to serve you the 5oz glasses one at a time, so that they are at the proper temperature when you drink it, rather than sitting out for 10-20 minutes beforehand. The food selection is still limited, but the items are quite tasty.

Quote:Viewfromthe42 The sampler size of this fat burner here is pretty widespread, but appreciated as an offering. They have said that they only want to serve you the 5oz glasses one at a time, so that they are at the proper temperature when you drink it, rather than sitting out for 10-20 minutes beforehand. The food selection is still limited, but the items are quite tasty.

Sounds good, will have to give this place a visit.
It's become a regular haunt of mine, and some interesting faces to spot. Saw one of the owners of Momentum buying beers and chatting up Voisin for hours on Thursday (likely congratulating him on his purchase of the Legion building in Kitchener), and then saw a Tobias Lutke doppelganger there on a quiet Sunday afternoon. The bottle list is quite impressive and varied, and their 18 rotating taps always keep certain styles on hand (two cider, two very dark beers, and a more varied assortment in the middle). The food is also constantly changing, and the chefs do really great things with simple ideas; if I didn't like beer (or wine or Nickelbrook's root beer), it would be a food destination for me, but thankfully I can do both!
(08-14-2017, 10:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's become a regular haunt of mine, and some interesting faces to spot. Saw one of the owners of Momentum buying beers and chatting up Voisin for hours on Thursday (likely congratulating him on his purchase of the Legion building in Kitchener), and then saw a Tobias Lutke doppelganger there on a quiet Sunday afternoon. The bottle list is quite impressive and varied, and their 18 rotating taps always keep certain styles on hand (two cider, two very dark beers, and a more varied assortment in the middle). The food is also constantly changing, and the chefs do really great things with simple ideas; if I didn't like beer (or wine or Nickelbrook's root beer), it would be a food destination for me, but thankfully I can do both!

Awesome! Same for me... I sometimes go after work by myself and sit with my computer. Such an awesome spot between Uptown and Downtown.
(08-14-2017, 10:35 AM)urbd Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 10:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: It's become a regular haunt of mine, and some interesting faces to spot. Saw one of the owners of Momentum buying beers and chatting up Voisin for hours on Thursday (likely congratulating him on his purchase of the Legion building in Kitchener), and then saw a Tobias Lutke doppelganger there on a quiet Sunday afternoon. The bottle list is quite impressive and varied, and their 18 rotating taps always keep certain styles on hand (two cider, two very dark beers, and a more varied assortment in the middle). The food is also constantly changing, and the chefs do really great things with simple ideas; if I didn't like beer (or wine or Nickelbrook's root beer), it would be a food destination for me, but thankfully I can do both!

Awesome! Same for me... I sometimes go after work by myself and sit with my computer. Such an awesome spot between Uptown and Downtown.

Sorry to be such a Boomer, but that just seems so wrong!  

Do they do live music?
(08-14-2017, 11:19 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-14-2017, 10:35 AM)urbd Wrote: Awesome! Same for me... I sometimes go after work by myself and sit with my computer. Such an awesome spot between Uptown and Downtown.

Sorry to be such a Boomer, but that just seems so wrong!  

Do they do live music?

Haha! what I tried to say is that it is just a great hangout spot either by yourself or with a group, I do both!
And no I haven't seen live music there.
Laptops only bug me when they're set up to occupy more space than 1 person. At Arabella, I'd be fine seeing them on the second level at the barstool seating, but anywhere else they take up too much space. I stopped going to DVLB after being a $40-50 a weekend regular because every two-person table would be taken up by a laptop (sometimes with a second table dragged over for a bag to sit on, and even the large tables that seat 10-12 would wind up with 3-4 laptops taking up the entire space.

Live music I have not seen at DVLB, but they did have a live DJ there one theme weekend. The mains were all fancy hot dogs, and the fellow was spinning music from the 90s, mostly hip hop and R&B, tunes I definitely recall.

(08-14-2017, 11:39 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Laptops only bug me when they're set up to occupy more space than 1 person. At Arabella, I'd be fine seeing them on the second level at the barstool seating, but anywhere else they take up too much space. I stopped going to DVLB after being a $40-50 a weekend regular because every two-person table would be taken up by a laptop (sometimes with a second table dragged over for a bag to sit on, and even the large tables that seat 10-12 would wind up with 3-4 laptops taking up the entire space.

Live music I have not seen at DVLB, but they did have a live DJ there one theme weekend. The mains were all fancy hot dogs, and the fellow was spinning music from the 90s, mostly hip hop and R&B, tunes I definitely recall.

You meant Arabella there, right?

And yes, agree about the laptops... I always take a one person table and in a corner, especially at a place like Arabella. At DVLB, well... it is a coffee shop (mostly) and people are there doing work all the time. They did get rid off the power outlets to encourage more social interaction and avoid people just sitting there for hours by purchasing only the cheapest item on the menu.
I meant Arabella, yes.

DVLB, every time I visit, someone *still* goes to unplug the light in the back corner to drape their cord over a patron in a chair to power their laptop at the bowling-lane table. Laptops sitting at the DVLB front window bar seats, or close together at the large tables, great. But I'm mostly used to seeing people sit at two or four person tables, even six person tables (more recently at Settlement in Downtown.
(08-15-2017, 05:20 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I meant Arabella, yes.

DVLB, every time I visit, someone *still* goes to unplug the light in the back corner to drape their cord over a patron in a chair to power their laptop at the bowling-lane table. Laptops sitting at the DVLB front window bar seats, or close together at the large tables, great. But I'm mostly used to seeing people sit at two or four person tables, even six person tables (more recently at Settlement in Downtown.

Am I the only one who enjoys weirding out such people by asking if they mind sharing (asked more as a statement than a question and only when you're already half seated!)?  Wink
If a single person is sitting at a quad, and the place is filling up, I will certainly ask if I can sit there. I don't think I've weirded them out all that much.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »