Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Flexity!
I happened to be at the right place at the right time, so I snapped this especially for Canard.  It's a Flexity Outlook crossing the fabulous Dom Luís I bridge in Porto, Portugal in the morning mist.

And a second photo of the bridge itself, in case you have never seen it.  At 172m, it's single span was the longest in the world when built in 1881.

Thanks Big Grin  Those are great trains.  I rode the very similar model in Strasbourg in 2008.  They're called Eurotram, if I recall correctly, and it was sort of a semi-standard design that a couple of different manufacturers agreed upon.

I like the geometry - the modules with bogies are very small, and the intermediate modules are a bit larger.  This is a great way to go for a fixed-bogie tram, because the moment of inertia of the bogie modules is much lower, so wheel wear is reduced when it navigates a curve.  The windows are huge and so are the doors.

I think I read somewhere that the operators didn't like them much though, because the single, large doors take longer to fully open than bi-parting doors.
They looked good ... I never did ride one, though, as everywhere I wanted to go in Porto was within walking distance.
High quality photos. Good eye tomh009