Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Today's Weather
I actually love rain, I think it's relaxing to hear, so I'm not complaining about the constant showers.

So this is kind of nuts tonight eh?
Blues festival canceled at all three stages. People taking refuge inside city hall ...
(08-11-2017, 09:17 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Blues festival canceled at all three stages.  People taking refuge inside city hall ...

Tornado warnings will put a damper on any party...
I guess it's "kind of" weather...

You can use this site to figure out times for Monday's eclipse.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/defau...index.html

...so around 2:30pm in Waterloo Region.
Here's a summary in infographic form:

[Image: 7icz9lwrepgz.png]
Thanks for that KevinL.  Most useful.

Anyone know of any available eyewear for the eclipse that's still available? I'm assuming everything is sold out.
Hit up a welding supply shop and buy a #14 lens, it'll be dark enough to protect your eyes. I don't think princess auto or other hardware stores will sell dark enough lenses so it'd have to be a praxair or tri-county welding supplies, or something like that... a 14 is much darker than most common welding needs. Just the tinted glass part shouldn't cost more than five bucks. Cut out a slot in a piece of cardboard and tape it in so you have something to hold over your face... the idea is to make something along these lines.
Anyone know an online source from our area (or close) that would be broadcasting it?
A number of astronomy- and science-themed web presences will be streaming it, I believe.
It goes without saying, but since nobody's said it yet, you're not supposed to look directly at it at all, if you don't have special glasses.
Yup. The darkened sky will trick your pupils into being wide open during the eclipse, even as you look right at it. But the still very much unblocked UV radiation will be sufficient to blind all but your peripheral vision. Play it safe, folks!

(08-20-2017, 09:02 PM)Canard Wrote: It goes without saying, but since nobody's said it yet, you're not supposed to look directly at it at all, if you don't have special glasses.

Now I'm not trying to play devils advocate, but since I'm not a doctor, just some clarification....

I have looked at the sun in my life, but I don't think I have ever stared at the sun.  If someone were to take cursory glances at the eclipse, I'd assume this was safe.  [Normally there is nothing compelling to watch in order to stare, the eclipse being an exception].

Am I right, or is the sunlight peeking out from behind the sun more lethal than normal sunlight?

Coke

EDIT : As I typed I see ViewFromThe42 explained the difference.  Thanks!
I wondered exactly the same thing and got this excellent reply.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »