Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Cortes on King | 6 fl | Complete
(06-17-2016, 06:09 PM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I see many people in my building doing likewise, so to say "balconies are rarely used" seems awfully inaccurate, or perhaps just your experience.

To the contrary, I like balconies myself though not on noisy streets. However i don't let my preferences get on the way of the data. From the Globe and Mail:

Quote:“Most people don’t use the balconies, but they insist on having them,” he says. “People fantasize about what their lifestyle will be in a condo, but the reality is they come home, they turn on the TV and eat dinner, and they don’t go out there.”

Condo balconies are probably the most visible fantasy objects on the urban landscape, and often the homeliest. The standard minimum is a shallow concrete platform, just big enough for a couple of chairs and a bicycle. But even a small balcony costs money to build, usually drains heat from the interior space and may set its owner up for expensive repair or replacement in the future. Multiply those costs over thousands of units, and balcony love looks like an expensive and mostly pleasureless affair.

(06-17-2016, 01:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 11:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I lived with a balcony at the42 facing the oncoming Bridgeport traffic, and would still often be on it. No, it's not silent. No, urban areas aren't meant to be. Still incredibly enjoyable.

Tolerances vary.  I never use mine on Benton St, which I imagine would if anything be less busy than Bridgeport.

Ours (on St. George) is actually more quiet than the patio at our old house in Heidelberg.

But before we bought this unit, though we were looking at a "double" unit at Bauer Lofts.  Very nice, and many pluses, but the balcony was much too noisy for us.  Between regular King St traffic and the ambulances heading to GRH, it was no enjoyable for us, and that alone pretty much took the Bauer Lofts unit out of contention for us.
@ panamaniac. Not exactly the same.

It is very quiet on my balcony. Wouldn't want it closed in.
I love my balcony, but I admit that I notice the noise of the car traffic at rush hour. And my street is a lot quieter than King, so I can see why panamaniac might question the utility of balconies overlooking King at Cortes. It's ultimately personal preference.
I currently live outside of Kitchener but planning on moving into the city in the near future. I would not be without outdoor space. A balcony is a must.
(06-19-2016, 08:31 AM)kitborn Wrote: I currently live outside of Kitchener but planning on moving into the city in the near future. I would not be without outdoor space. A balcony is a must.

Just make sure you consider the building location and balcony orientation when deciding on a condo or apartment.  Better yet, if it's an existing building, go spend 30 minutes on the balcony so you can judge whether the noise levels are OK for you.
(06-19-2016, 10:18 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 08:31 AM)kitborn Wrote: I currently live outside of Kitchener but planning on moving into the city in the near future. I would not be without outdoor space. A balcony is a must.

Just make sure you consider the building location and balcony orientation when deciding on a condo or apartment.  Better yet, if it's an existing building, go spend 30 minutes on the balcony so you can judge whether the noise levels are OK for you.

My balcony faces north-east and has a large tree blocking the morning sun so it's shaded all day. It's quite nice actually but anyone that likes the sun wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much. I don't mind being in the shade but it limits the plants I could grow.

We are on our balcony every night for a drink and to watch. At 17 floors up, and behind The Bauer, it really isn't too loud and we enjoy the million dollar view. Wouldn't think of condo living without a balcony.
Website for rentals is on the building now:

http://www.thecortes.ca/

I think that looks quite decent, actually. The primary colour is warmer than the grey in the render, and fits in with the neighbouring houses. And the topmost storey has the same look as the GRH buildings. Smile

Overall better than the render, I think.
http://www.therecord.com/news-story/3250...acy-group/
Can we mark this one as completed? Only a few panes of glass along the walkways left to add:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Looks like it needs some more work. Am I being picky?
I actually live in this building — I think my partner and I are the first and only tenants — and it's 90-95% there. Common spaces and finishing touches still need a bit of work, but everything else is ready. It's nice! And near-silent in terms of street noise, though I'm sure that'll change once more of King opens and people learn to use it again.

The placement of the building name makes it look cut off.

Attached Files Image(s)

May 30, 2017

Can we mark this as complete now?

Attached Files Image(s)

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »