Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Cortes on King | 6 fl | Complete

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Thanks for the photo! I think this looks pretty good, but I won’t have any real opinion until I walk on the sidewalk in front of it along a completed King. But I generally like the colouring, and I think the scale is appropriate.
This one is turning out better than I expected, although I'm not a fan of the raised ground floor with its attendant walls and ramp. Is it economics that dictate this or is it something about the conditions at that location? Red suffers from the same shortcoming, or at least what I see as a shortcoming. If it were up to me, a building like this would have glassed in sunrooms rather than balconies on the King St facing side - a balcony looking out on heavy traffic and dust just doesn't seem very useful to me.
(06-17-2016, 08:28 AM)panamaniac Wrote: This one is turning out better than I expected, although I'm not a fan of the raised ground floor with its attendant walls and ramp.  Is it economics that dictate this or is it something about the conditions at that location?  Red suffers from the same shortcoming, or at least what I see as a shortcoming.   If it were up to me, a building like this would have glassed in sunrooms rather than balconies on the King St facing side - a balcony looking out on heavy traffic and dust just doesn't seem very useful to me.

Well, it's definitely dusty right now, though I doubt there's much traffic.

I'm not sure. Depends on what you like. I could see these balconies having a cool urban feel-- some traffic, sure, but also the occasional train slipping gracefully by, and hopefully some people on the street. Might appeal to some.
(06-17-2016, 09:00 AM)zanate Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 08:28 AM)panamaniac Wrote: This one is turning out better than I expected, although I'm not a fan of the raised ground floor with its attendant walls and ramp.  Is it economics that dictate this or is it something about the conditions at that location?  Red suffers from the same shortcoming, or at least what I see as a shortcoming.   If it were up to me, a building like this would have glassed in sunrooms rather than balconies on the King St facing side - a balcony looking out on heavy traffic and dust just doesn't seem very useful to me.

Well, it's definitely dusty right now, though I doubt there's much traffic.

I'm not sure. Depends on what you like. I could see these balconies having a cool urban feel-- some traffic, sure, but also the occasional train slipping gracefully by, and hopefully some people on the street. Might appeal to some.

Yeah, there's something for everyone.  Those front facing balconies would have a nice view of the Mutual, but the traffic noise would make them a non-starter for me.
Once King reopens, it will be a narrow road that probably won’t at most times allow for very fast traffic, with LRT vehicles whizzing by. There’s not a tonne of street life yet, unfortunately, but I don’t think it will be particularly bad from a traffic noise perspective.
(06-17-2016, 10:06 AM)MidTowner Wrote: Once King reopens, it will be a narrow road that probably won’t at most times allow for very fast traffic, with LRT vehicles whizzing by. There’s not a tonne of street life yet, unfortunately, but I don’t think it will be particularly bad from a traffic noise perspective.

I would disagree, but perhaps my tolerance level is lower than others.

Maybe- I certainly wouldn't choose a unit with a balcony facing King as it was in the past. I think that the new configuration will be quieter, but there's no way of knowing that for sure until it reopens.
I lived with a balcony at the42 facing the oncoming Bridgeport traffic, and would still often be on it. No, it's not silent. No, urban areas aren't meant to be. Still incredibly enjoyable.
(06-17-2016, 11:27 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I lived with a balcony at the42 facing the oncoming Bridgeport traffic, and would still often be on it. No, it's not silent. No, urban areas aren't meant to be. Still incredibly enjoyable.

Tolerances vary.  I never use mine on Benton St, which I imagine would if anything be less busy than Bridgeport.
(06-17-2016, 01:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Tolerances vary.  I never use mine on Benton St, which I imagine would if anything be less busy than Bridgeport.

Balconies are rarely used, anywhere and everywhere, but particularly so in noisy streets. In fact in many places in Southern Europe there has been a movement to glass in balconies.
(06-17-2016, 04:46 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:08 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Tolerances vary.  I never use mine on Benton St, which I imagine would if anything be less busy than Bridgeport.

Balconies are rarely used, anywhere and everywhere, but particularly so in noisy streets. In fact in many places in Southern Europe there has been a movement to glass in balconies.

Not just Southern Europe. Kitchener used to have that bunch of bricked-in balconies on Weber St before the expansion. But yes, also in Europe in general. This place here in Zurich where I'm staying has a glassed-in balcony. Haven't really used it yet either.
(06-17-2016, 04:46 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

That would be my favoured approach in Canada - glassed in "three season rooms" rather than open balconies.  It would be far more useful living space, imho.

I disagree about glassing in balconies. I have a balcony that is probably about 60 sq ft and about 3/4 covered/surrounded by the building's structure. I love that I can sit outside and get actual fresh air and sunlight. I see many people in my building doing likewise, so to say "balconies are rarely used" seems awfully inaccurate, or perhaps just your experience. I would not ever want mine glassed in, or have a place without a balcony.
Not to mention my love of bbq'ing. Smile
The answer lies in opening a window....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »