Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIA Rail
So they've actually bought them? The link says that they're putting out an RFQ which would suggest they aren't yet at the stage to procure anything.

This was the awarding of the contract.
The request went out a little while ago, and this was the result. The new fleet arrives starting in 2021, with introduction to service between 2022-2024. It’s a done deal.
(12-12-2018, 05:31 PM)Canard Wrote:
(12-12-2018, 03:25 PM)clasher Wrote: I hope the bike storage proves to be useful and not overly expensive.

Expensive? I just assumed it would be free...

They charge 25$ for a bike according to this page meanwhile it was 5$ to reserve a bike rack on the amtrak cascasdes which seems a lot more reasonable to me.
(12-12-2018, 03:12 PM)Canard Wrote: New VIA Fleet revealed:

https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/fleet-renewal

Wow!  Those are nice!
(12-13-2018, 08:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: So they've actually bought them? The link says that they're putting out an RFQ which would suggest they aren't yet at the stage to procure anything.

That link is an incoherent mishmash of old and new. This is the new.
(12-13-2018, 08:22 AM)jamincan Wrote: So they've actually bought them? The link says that they're putting out an RFQ which would suggest they aren't yet at the stage to procure anything.

RFQ was sent out Q1-Q2 with a due date of 6 June 2018

I'm enjoying quite the commute from London to Kitchener. 45+ minutes stuck on a siding near St. Mary's waiting for another via train from Toronto to pass, and then an argument to break out between two passengers, with one accusing another one of stealing some money and a bag of weed, So another 30 min wait in St. Mary's for the police to show up to haul the passengers off the train.
I remember sitting in the Thorndale siding watching the conductor walk from one end to the other to manually turn the switches after the train we were waiting for passed. I'm assuming CTC has automated this.
Wired recently toured Siemens' Sacramento, CA plant, where the Brightline sets were built - and presumably where the bulk of the work for VIA's new sets will take place.

There is a VIA Rail announcement slated for tomorrow, with the Federal Infrastructure Bank due to invest in VIA's High Frequency Rail project.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics...s-through/

This appears to be from Quebec City to Toronto, but will stop there, with no further service to points west. The fund further appears to be primarily for right-of-ways and track work to enable effective (non-HSR) rail speeds on the Quebec City-Montreal-Ottawa-Toronto corridor.

There is an announcement planned for tomorrow in Peterborough so we should know more then.
A promise for this election cycle. The promise of actually getting on with it will, I suspect, have to wait until the 2023 election cycle.
Quite possible, yes. It's not clear yet how committed the FIB funding would be.

(06-24-2019, 10:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Quite possible, yes. It's not clear yet how committed the FIB funding would be.

Or even whether it will continue to exist after the October election.
Yawn.

Isn’t this an election year? Nothing to see here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »