Welcome Guest! In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away. Click here to get started.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VIA Rail
Speaking of VIA has there been any news at all of an additional Kitchener-Toronto run using the refurbished self-propelled trains?
(05-15-2017, 01:01 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Seems a bit strange that they would introduce alcohol searches for travel FROM Thompson, but apparently not on trains TO Thompson.

There are a number of isolated communities that use VIA to get to/from Thompson for supplies. That's probably why the policy is only for travel from Thompson.
According to the article it's going to be rolled out nationally, though Manitoba will probably be the focus.

There's been no news of additional service that I've seen, but word is they're buying back a dozen RDCs from Trinity Rail Express in Texas. Considering eight of them have been sitting at Mimico unrestored for years if not decades, I'm not optimistic. The move has raised the ire of Jason Shron from Rapido Trains, who wants the feds to aim a little higher.
(05-15-2017, 04:34 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: According to the article it's going to be rolled out nationally, though Manitoba will probably be the focus.

There's been no news of additional service that I've seen, but word is they're buying back a dozen RDCs from Trinity Rail Express in Texas. Considering eight of them have been sitting at Mimico unrestored for years if not decades, I'm not optimistic. The move has raised the ire of Jason Shron from Rapido Trains, who wants the feds to aim a little higher.

There was a correction indicating that it is not a national policy for checking baggage.

Which is good, because requiring people to arrive an hour before a train on the corridor would be basically be a guarantee of automatic failure for any and all Via services.

I do hope Via rail service expands soon.
For daily ion construction updates, photos and general urban rail news, follow me on twitter! @Canardiain