Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Good to see they have installed the pool already.... Smile

Coke
Wow! Not much left of the original building. Interesting project. Looking forward to see the final result.
Crane going up:

It's really crazy seeking how little of the original building remains.
When I took the photo of the crane being assembled I assumed it was going on the base I could see.

It looks like there was a second base to the right of the one in the photo.

Based on the height of the building I am assuming the next crane will be much taller too.

I believe what you are calling a base are just additional segments for the crane tower, the actual base is cast into a special footing in the slab. The segments can be inserted as needed using a "climbing frame" by the crane itself without extra equipment. The crane will probably be extended several times as the building grows, and tied in structurally to the building to provide lateral stability.

I don't think this site is large enough to support a second crane without severe clearance issues. The boom on the current crane extends well out into King Street from the current location, which is far from that edge of the property, so they can't put another crane in without impeding the ability of the crane to swing 360.

Looks like most of the walls for the ground floor are up.
I took this photo on Friday:

Underground parking is below all that? Hard to see what's happening based on the pic, might have to do a drive by. Lot more happening in uptown Waterloo - i'm learning about small business collabs almost weekly now, I think many are banking on a solid influx of new residents - and as such, customer$.
Photo 
Only one level below this, of which I'm not sure how much will be parking. As with many new buildings in the area, parking will be primarily above ground on the first 3-4 floors. This building doesn't really have a "podium" per se, but usually that is where the bulk of the parking is. My understanding is that the ground (and groundwater) conditions are not really conducive to deep excavation/basements.

Here is a picture from Caroline from yesterday. You can see the ramps starting to take shape.

(11-20-2018, 12:13 PM)Momo26 Wrote: Underground parking is below all that? Hard to see what's happening based on the pic, might have to do a drive by. Lot more happening in uptown Waterloo - i'm learning about small business collabs almost weekly now, I think many are banking on a solid influx of new residents - and as such, customer$.

Interesting.  Anything you can share?

I think a lot of them are realizing that they need to do something because doing nothing is not an option.
That's true - it's the new world economy. Your goods/service, storefront and packaging must be Instagram-able and customer-centric.

Well for example, companies promoting one another through 'specials' offered with them if you are a patron of another, unrelated business
- of course the synergies exist since it has to make sense. Cross ownership and even profit/space sharing. Just follow a handful of businesses on social media and you'll come to the same conclusions. It's neat.

I was also surprised to learn that several businesses have the same ownership - some longstanding. I would not have known if I did not talk to friends/colleagues around me.

Does Circa specifically have retail downstairs? I'm curious to see what opens up below many of these condos.

(11-20-2018, 04:12 PM)Momo26 Wrote: That's true - it's the new world economy. Your goods/service, storefront and packaging must be Instagram-able and customer-centric.

Well for example, companies promoting one another through 'specials' offered with them if you are a patron of another, unrelated business
- of course the synergies exist since it has to make sense. Cross ownership and even profit/space sharing. Just follow a handful of businesses on social media and you'll come to the same conclusions. It's neat.

I was also surprised to learn that several businesses have the same ownership - some longstanding. I would not have known if I did not talk to friends/colleagues around me.

Does Circa specifically have retail downstairs? I'm curious to see what opens up below many of these condos.

I think they're planning a restaurant/brew pub on the ground floor of Circa.
Is/Was that to be done by Brick? Or did I always just associate them with it
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »