Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
/\ It's certainly classist which I think is every bit as distasteful as racial.

(07-13-2017, 02:01 PM)Andy Wrote: "[…] if the area isn’t protected, it will decay and attract unwanted elements such as rental housing."

Hey, give them time to adjust. At least the neighbourhood has moved on from literally evicting orphans.
/\ Fascinating article. Thank you for posting it, kps.
Thanks for the link -- Rych Mills is great!
(07-13-2017, 02:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Egads! Rental housing! Surely that must be kept away from any decent neighbourhood!

Sad

Won't someone PLEAASEEEE think of the children?!
Because Uptown West has never had rental housing! <sarcasm>

This area has plenty of rental houses, some with good tenants and some with bad... and not just close to Erb.

One of the main changes right now seems to be low quality student rental housing converting back to family housing, mostly due to the licensing not transferring to the new owners the dumps would have to be inspected if used as rentals.
An interesting detail from the article:
"Overhead lines are about $236 per metre, underground lines are about $2,231 per metre. Because the utility’s policy is to replace lines with the same type, residents wanting underground lines would have to pick up the additional cost."

Am I the only one that this condo name is pretty ridiculous? Circa 1877. Ugh. They're just getting worse! First Sixo, then Charlie, now Circa....
Is that a reference to the (circa) year the buff brick portion was built?
I had the same thought. I was tempted to sarcastically ask how they couldn't be sure of the year the thing was built.

There should be a tonne of good names involved "brewery" or "beer."
(07-14-2017, 11:12 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I had the same thought. I was tempted to sarcastically ask how they couldn't be sure of the year the thing was built.

There should be a tonne of good names involved "brewery" or "beer."

The building's earlier history (before 1984) wasn't brewing, though. I believe it was some kind of furniture manufacturing?
(07-14-2017, 09:59 PM)mpd618 Wrote: The building's earlier history (before 1984) wasn't brewing, though. I believe it was some kind of furniture manufacturing?

Yes. The building was probably constructed no earlier than 1899 (but certainly by 1908) for Canada Furniture Company.

The possible justification for “1877” is the founding of Hoffman & Wegenast that was sold to Schaefer, Killer & Company that was sold to Canada Furniture Company. But that building was at Allen.
"...unwanted elements such as rental housing" If I had to guess the extension of that thought would be "...rental housing with multiple, short-term tenants packed into a small house and a less than attentive landlord and/or property management company." They are probably speaking from experience and hopefully the City's rental housing bylaw is slowing correcting the errant landlords.

CORE can't do anything about someone converting their home to such a form (aside from rental housing bylaw). Their mandate is around development, and so their "rental housing" would refer to the creation of any new structures which might potentially be seen as more likely to be occupied by renters, everything from 2-3 storey purpose-built rental, to similarly small condo developments. E.g. Build Absolutely Nothing Absolutely Anywhere In My Neighbourhood.
Build Absolutely Nothing, absolutely, Not Anywhere ... BANANA in my neighbourhood! Big Grin

Is that a nicer acronym than NIMBY? Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »