Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(02-16-2016, 09:55 AM)zanate Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 10:33 PM)Lens Wrote: I would consider it on the border of Uptown and Midtown. This is a little boundary map I made to define midtown:

Perhaps we need an area for this district. Upper Midtown. Midder Uptown. Muptown. Diptown.

Inspired by South Park's SoDoSoPa district (South of Downtown South Park) I vote for SoUpWa - South of Uptown Waterloo.

(02-16-2016, 10:46 AM)timc Wrote:
(02-16-2016, 09:55 AM)zanate Wrote: Perhaps we need an area for this district. Upper Midtown. Midder Uptown. Muptown. Diptown.

Unionville.

Makes total sense but can't see it work as Unionville, Ontario comes to mind first.
Depending what they name one of the LRT stations, maybe that would set a foundation (i.e. Allen Station or Allenville).  GR Hospital is pretty much center of this "district".  Keeping this in mind and paying homage to the Area's German roots.... Krankenhaus Corners
New render of the project is available on Hip Developments website.

http://www.hipdevelopments.com/project/k...ck-brewing
Almost like a glassy-er taller version of their River Bank Lofts render.
This company lovers those staggered balconies.

It looks pretty good from this angle but I'm concerned it might look a bit slab like if it is as deep as the site is.

[Image: 181king_0.png?itok=x72BkcEj]
Staggered balconies are OK. They do add some interest, and we don't have any use of those yet in uptown or downtown. Integration of facades (especially the new faux-old building on the right) looks a bit goofy in the render, but I think it will be nice from the street level.

But I'm curious about the alley sidefacade (parking podium?), behind the existing building. It looks like some very interesting white and dark gray shapes, I'm looking forward to seeing a render that shows this side better.
Given the King Street preservation going on, I'm a bit surprised there's not more attempt at a brick (pun intended) façade.
Hard to tell how far back the building goes. It looks like a the red brick on the north side of the front, wraps around to the back, perhaps townhouses at the back? It seems to be maybe 17 stories, I thought it was going to be 20 to 22 stories high. I like it though, and I think it will blend into the streetscape quite well. Now, if we could do something about the Allen Square building across the street, that would be a step in the right direction.

I count 13 stories above the podium, and six stories in the podium (three (or four?) stories for the existing Brick building and three new stories above that). That would make it 19 or possibly 20 stories.
Exciting development in my opinion.  If they really make the old brewery part a restaurant/pub and that second floor patio in the rendering becomes a reality, I've got a new hangout!
The King & Allen area is going to become an overly sought after spot, great neighbourhood that will become even better with LRT stops and more quality developments.  The City will be sitting on a gold mine in 10-15 years with that Adult/Senior Rec Centre on the corner.  Maybe we can eliminate the RIM Park debt once and for all with selling that Rec Centre property. Big Grin
(04-08-2016, 07:02 AM)Lens Wrote: Almost like a glassy-er taller version of their River Bank Lofts render.
This company lovers those staggered balconies.

It looks pretty good from this angle but I'm concerned it might look a bit slab like if it is as deep as the site is.

I agree, looks great from the front, but I think it's going to be deep, aka WIDE from the side.  Much like the Bauer tower.
(04-08-2016, 09:50 AM)schooner77 Wrote: Hard to tell how far back the building goes. It looks like a the red brick on the north side of the front, wraps around to the back, perhaps townhouses at the back?  It seems to be maybe 17 stories, I thought it was going to be 20 to 22 stories high.  I like it though, and I think it will blend into the streetscape quite well. Now, if we could do something about the Allen Square building across the street, that would be a step in the right direction.

I actually don't think Allen Square is the worst thing in the world.  I do however think it is suited perfectly with it's set backs for it's ground floor to be converted into retail.  It could easily handle a pub/restaurant with a patio out front.
The website lists the development as being 20 storeys. I know, I do it too: counting floors visually rather than reading.
(04-08-2016, 10:37 AM)Watdot Wrote: Exciting development in my opinion.  If they really make the old brewery part a restaurant/pub and that second floor patio in the rendering becomes a reality, I've got a new hangout!
The King & Allen area is going to become an overly sought after spot, great neighbourhood that will become even better with LRT stops and more quality developments.  The City will be sitting on a gold mine in 10-15 years with that Adult/Senior Rec Centre on the corner.  Maybe we can eliminate the RIM Park debt once and for all with selling that Rec Centre property. Big Grin

How will anyone be able to develop the sites on either side of this behemoth with all those balconies and windows facing into them?

This city has a huge issue in that its planning department seems incapable of seeing any building as part of the neighbourhood context.

Take The Red condos as an example, where units on the south east face onto the houses next door. Not an issue today but those properties are zoned for six stories like The Red is. This precludes anyone from building a similar structure in anywhere near the proximity needed to create a pedestrian friendly streetwall beside The Red.

In Toronto the planning rules would mandate a blank wall so an adjoining building could abut this building directly.

Back to the Brick site... this should be a two point tower proposal so the adjoining sites can actually see similar developments in the future.

(04-08-2016, 11:02 PM)dubya Wrote: In Toronto the planning rules would mandate a blank wall so an adjoining building could abut this building directly.

Meanwhile, in Waterloo there are (IIRC) side yard requirements so building directly next to another building isn't exactly being contemplated.
How much separation between towers does Waterloo require? I see what you're saying wrt Red, but it seems to me that there is adequate space for another tower on the Adult Rec Centre site. Given the depth of the Brick site, I don't see how you could develop a condo that did not have units opening out to that side.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »