Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
Now starting the 9th residence floor right on schedule.

Notice windows also going in on the first residence floor, and many are already complete on the podium.

Man, that's fast. Great picture
Another floor started yesterday, and glazing work is moving upward as well.

That glass looks sharp
(06-01-2019, 07:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: That glass looks sharp

I agree. the glass is nice, the rest of the building is depressing and ugly !!
(06-02-2019, 11:19 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(06-01-2019, 07:32 AM)Spokes Wrote: That glass looks sharp

I agree. the glass is nice, the rest of the building is depressing and ugly !!

Well it's nowhere near done, so all you will see are pre-fab concrete walls...
Progress continues. They've getting near the top and have stepped back the floorplate slightly for the last few floors.
I make it currently as 17 of 20 floors (I'd failed to notice unit #5000 previously, which I'm assuming is some sort of enormous above the 19th floor).
Given their current pace that probably puts topping-out around the end of July.

What material(s) will cover the bare concrete?
(06-27-2019, 10:34 AM)panamaniac Wrote: What material(s) will cover the bare concrete?

The black is most likely aluminium or some form of steel...but I'd guess the former.
Am I the only one who thinks this looks brutal? The massing is just way too much.
I've said before that I like the King St facade (still do), but that the rest of it, and especially the Caroline St facade, is nasty (still think so).
For me it's the massing that I don't like. The finishings look good, but the massing is off
Yeah. This is like a contemporary take on the really bad rectangular apartments that were built in the 1970s throughout downtown. It might not look so bad once it's done and as more things get built around it. But on its own, it is absolutely massive.

(06-27-2019, 07:41 PM)Lens Wrote: Am I the only one who thinks this looks brutal? The massing is just way too much.

(07-03-2019, 10:12 AM)Spokes Wrote: For me it's the massing that I don't like. The finishings look good, but the massing is off

Totally agree, the tower portion should have been stepped back one more time around halfway, it looks so flat and massive as it is.
I think I'll reserve judgement until it's finished. I do agree that it would probably be nicer with a taller and more slender tower, but I think the finished product will probably still be pretty nice.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »