Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Circa 1877 (née Brick Brewery) | 20 fl | Complete
(02-15-2016, 11:12 AM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 09:50 AM)jamincan Wrote: I don't know what the official definition is, but I'd consider the area between William and Central as Uptown.

The Uptown BIA includes, quite naturally, all the businesses between John and Central on King+side streets .

I think Uptown BIA's definition is as official as it gets!

Here is the Uptown map on the City of Waterloo's web site

That should probably be considered official.
I'm looking forward to seeing what they end up doing with the old brewery part of the building... it would be neat to see it converted into another brewpub if the local market could bear another one; I don't really know what the scene is like these days.
The point stands, though, that it's not like they're putting a tall building at the corner of King and Erb. The character of the street is pretty different at this location.
(02-15-2016, 12:22 PM)jamincan Wrote: The point stands, though, that it's not like they're putting a tall building at the corner of King and Erb. The character of the street is pretty different at this location.

Yes, it is different: the buildings are much taller south of William.  Bauer Lofts is a block away, 144 Park (and its future cousin) are on the next street, Sun Life is a few blocks further south.  And even Allen Square, Red and Cortes are taller than anything that's around Erb or Bridgeport.  This would fit in nicely.
(02-14-2016, 05:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Also, looking at the property line, that render doesn't make much sense. They would only have a few meters to the left of the original facade to build on. Maybe they're planning on disassembling and moving it to the right?

That would make the most sense.  Particularly given the rendering, it looks like it's only the facade being used, not the building itself.
(02-15-2016, 01:50 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 05:51 PM)Lens Wrote: Also, looking at the property line, that render doesn't make much sense. They would only have a few meters to the left of the original facade to build on. Maybe they're planning on disassembling and moving it to the right?

That would make the most sense.  Particularly given the rendering, it looks like it's only the facade being used, not the building itself.

That was my reaction at first, but I'm not sure - the render seems to show the reflecton of side wall windows in the interior.  The render seems to fudge things a bit, which could suggest façade preservation only.

Looks to me like they are keeping the old building - can see the side windows inside the new glass. I would say it was mirrored to frame their page properly - even looks a bit like the Bauer building in the background there.
(02-15-2016, 03:13 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I would say it was mirrored to frame their page properly

That would explain the cars driving on the left.
(02-15-2016, 08:57 PM)kps Wrote:
(02-15-2016, 03:13 PM)notmyfriends Wrote: I would say it was mirrored to frame their page properly

That would explain the cars driving on the left.

Awesome!  I can't believe no one else (including me) spotted that ...
The view in my browser didn't show cars so I had no idea what you were referencing, then I pulled up the source

http://www.hipdevelopments.com/sites/def...copy_0.png

Ah that makes sense now. I didn't see cars in my browser either.
(02-14-2016, 10:33 PM)Lens Wrote: I would consider it on the border of Uptown and Midtown. This is a little boundary map I made to define midtown:

Perhaps we need an area for this district. Upper Midtown. Midder Uptown. Muptown. Diptown.

(02-16-2016, 09:55 AM)zanate Wrote:
(02-14-2016, 10:33 PM)Lens Wrote: I would consider it on the border of Uptown and Midtown. This is a little boundary map I made to define midtown:

Perhaps we need an area for this district. Upper Midtown. Midder Uptown. Muptown. Diptown.

Unionville.
The pleasantness gulf that exists from Sunlife to the GRH parking lot is a good way to conceptually break up UpTown and Midtown. Yes, the northeast side isn't as dull, but still.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »