Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cambridge Pedestrian Bridge
http://m.cambridgetimes.ca/news-story/62...ge-in-galt

[Image: Bridge_The_Weave___Gallery.jpg] [Image: Bridge_The_Nature___Gallery.jpg]

Just noticed there was finally a public consultation for this yesterday (January 26th).

Personally, I think the preferred concept seems a bit to extravagant for Galt. I get what they're trying to do, and I like the idea of a lookout point halfway a cross the bridge, but the metal "weave" doesn't seem to fit in with historic Galt at all.

Wow, I'm sorry GtwoK, but I absolutely love it! Way better than that hideous thing that crosses 401 for the Connestoga College campus between 275 & 278 (I have no idea what that's supposed to be, other than "let's bolt on a bunch of stuff for no reason").

Where exactly would this go? Near the ice cream shop?
It's supposed to be at the old rail crossing point, at about where the Dunfield theatre is.

It's a nice bridge design, I just don;t think it suits Galt. At least not the weave part. The base metal structure is resemblant of the rail bridge up the river - that part I do enjoy!
(01-27-2016, 01:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: It's a nice bridge design, I just don;t think it suits Galt. At least not the weave part. The base metal structure is resemblant of the rail bridge up the river - that part I do enjoy!

I don't see why we need to echo the past at every turn. Under this philosophy the Eiffel tower would have never been built.

The bridge as proposed is a nice combination of old and new, which is exactly what you want your city to be, outside of some classic historical jewels like Venice or medieval Colmar.
(01-27-2016, 01:23 PM)Canard Wrote: Where exactly would this go? Near the ice cream shop?

It sounds like they intend to use the original railway bridge pier, which would put it right here.
(01-27-2016, 01:50 PM)GtwoK Wrote: It's supposed to be at the old rail crossing point, at about where the Dunfield theatre is.

It's a nice bridge design, I just don;t think it suits Galt. At least not the weave part. The base metal structure is resemblant of the rail bridge up the river - that part I do enjoy!

I like the way the copper-coloured structure resembles a rail bridge, but I like the flowing silver metal as well. I question how well that circular lookout will turn out, but generally I think this is very nice. If it stands out, it would be in a good way.
I like it. Daring. Trying something new, that is a good thing

I do like the nod to the rail bridge design even though it's fairly basic looking but the silver parts look tacked on in both designs. Do one kind of steel or the other.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the designs from here used: http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/forums/pede...arette.29/
I like it.

So many people on Facebook are griping about it being a waste of money and only existing to support someone's "vision". This is why Cambridge can't have nice things.
Both of those designs look really ugly to me. But to be fair, I have no sense of style.
I like both of them. Build one quickly!
It would be cool if it had the Steampunk look to it. That would suit old Galt.
I think it does have a steampunk look!

I love the idea of a pedestrian bridge in that area, and the old rail pier is a great opportunity. Adding an observation window, and putting some extra decoration on things, is just a cool bonus. Full approval of either design, with a slight preference for the first one.
(01-27-2016, 10:34 PM)Canard Wrote: I think it does have a steampunk look!

They could add more. Brass pieces, big rivet ... if that oculus in the first proposal looked like a giant gear, etc.. stuff like that would be really unique.