Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Aud
From what I read on Urban Toronto, the first GO Train in each direction after any of those games (particularly at BMO Field, which doesn't have the subway) is absolutely crammed. I don't believe there's any reliable extra service after games. Though, when Lakeshore was bumped to 30min frequency, there was an amount of relief

(01-29-2016, 08:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(01-29-2016, 07:23 PM)jamincan Wrote: I don't think it would be appropriate in Ion's case, but a lot of transit operators design stations near stadiums with pocket tracks to allow an extra train to immediately go into service after game.

That would make sense for a larger stadium, whether NHL/NBA stadium size (~20K seats) or football stadium size (Barcelona holds 100K -- as do several US college football stadiums, but those are very car-centric).

Yes, there is a pocket track near the Montreal Olympic Stadium. I've also seen extra CalTrain service out of San Francisco after a Giants game.
(01-29-2016, 09:55 PM)plam Wrote: Yes, there is a pocket track near the Montreal Olympic Stadium. 

The O has the advantage of a direct tunnel to Pie-IX station, which also has high-capacity gates for when events are on.

If only it had more events...
(01-29-2016, 11:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: The O has the advantage of a direct tunnel to Pie-IX station, which also has high-capacity gates for when events are on.

If only it had more events...

Yep. Was just there today (no event though). Relevant to the Aud, people in the English media always said that the Olympic Stadium was far from people who would go to events. I don't know if that's actually true or if it's just perception (I did grow up in eastern Montreal). Certainly in its heyday eastern Montreal's industrial base was hollowing out and it was sort of a blue-collar area at best, anyway. But the stadium is certainly large enough that smaller events get drowned out in the cavernous space.

Even though the Olympic Stadium wasn't actually that far from the more prosperous neighbourhoods of Montreal, it did feel like it was far from them. On the other hand, nothing actually feels far in K-W.
(01-29-2016, 09:33 PM)jamincan Wrote: I thought GO occasionally did just that?

Not often enough. The odd concert or event might rate an extra train, but regular season games don't. I think they did in the early days of Skydome but must have stopped after attendance tapered off. A real bonus would be extra trains on non-Lakeshore lines, but that's still far off.
I took the 8 home from the Ranger game last night. Granted, I didn't leave the game immediately, but unless there is better than 30 min service at 930 on a Fri night, I probably caught the first bus northbound to Charles. I assure you it was not crammed. I think I was the only game attendee on the bus. 3 people got on and I think I"m safe assuming the other 2 weren't at the game.

The shuttle buses by the local restaurants on the other hand are quite popular!
So Hamilton has an interesting situation by their stadium - The Ticats' home at Tim Hortons Field is a block away from a future station at King and Melrose. Before the B-Line is installed, a new high school will also be built on that corner. To handle both stadium crowds and student volume, an extra track will be built at that corner, and come off the roadway to pass right under the school's awning, where an overflow platform will go in.

Very cool!

Vancouver has a similar setup for the SkyTrain platform at the Stadium-Chinatown station.
(01-30-2016, 06:52 PM)Smore Wrote: I took the 8 home from the Ranger game last night.  Granted, I didn't leave the game immediately, but unless there is better than 30 min service at 930 on a Fri night, I probably caught the first bus northbound to Charles.  I assure you it was not crammed.  I think I was the only game attendee on the bus.  3 people got on and I think I"m safe assuming the other 2 weren't at the game.

The shuttle buses by the local restaurants on the other hand are quite popular!

I went to a game earlier in the year and walked down to the express stop, I was the only person from the game, I think there were 3 people going the other way.
No one seems to use the GRT to get to the game so locating a stadium/arena near the LRT does not need to happen.

Thinking of the hockey gear my buddy hauls around I can't see getting on the bus with it all in winter being something he would want to do.  I know most of the thread is about events but if you have the refrigeration equipment you usually have 2 or 3 ice rinks on the site.
Does anyone know why so many Shows and Concerts skip Kitchener-Waterloo the shows seem to go to London then ignore us and go to Hamilton then Toronto then.... Is our Aud too small? I would think it's because we're not too far from Hamilton (far enough) but Hamilton isn't that far from Toronto, is it because the aud isn't corporate owned or sponsored?
I've always understood that it was the size - isn't it about 3,000 seats smaller than London for concerts?
The Aud is getting wifi due to a grant from the federal government.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.3737689
(08-29-2016, 06:25 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The Aud is getting wifi due to a grant from the federal government.

I get that people want wifi access while at the game, but why should the federal government pay for it?

(08-29-2016, 11:27 AM)timc Wrote:
(08-29-2016, 06:25 AM)rangersfan Wrote: The Aud is getting wifi due to a grant from the federal government.

I get that people want wifi access while at the game, but why should the federal government pay for it?

It's infrastructure, like the Auditorium.  And both will get used for lots of local sports activities and events, so it's not just for the Rangers, who really only use quite a small percentage of the Aud's ice time.
I don't know if this has been posted but it also appears that the Aud will be the home to the KW Titans NBL team. http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/68...-uniforms/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »