Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
Not much you can do about the interior stairs but they should REALLY make a ramp on the exterior. It's probably the biggest step to get into a business I've seen

Surely there must be a secondary accessible entrance. I can't imagine that skipping that would meet the AODA rules.
(06-15-2021, 02:09 AM)nms Wrote: Surely there must be a secondary accessible entrance.  I can't imagine that skipping that would meet the AODA rules.

But it indeed does, because it's not on ground level.

Quote:The Building Code distinguishes between renovations that are basic and those that are extensive. Basic renovations involve construction that maintains the existing performance level of all or part of an existing building; they avoid triggering the accessibility requirements under section 3.8. By contrast, extensive renovations under Part 11 of the Building Code must comply with section 3.8, if the proposed construction: (1) is within an existing suite area that is greater than 300 square metres (3,229 sq.ft.) of space; (2) involves installations of new interior walls/floor assemblies or new ceilings; and (3) is within a buildings main floor area located within 200 mm (7.84 inches) of the nearby ground floor (or in a floor area that is accessible by an elevator from the buildings main floor area that is located within 200 mm (7.84 inches) of the nearby ground floor). The legislators rationale for the third prong was that, with assistance, someone in a wheeled mobility device could enter a building if the elevation from the outside ground floor to the main floor entrance were less than 200 mm (7.84 inches). Notably, all three tests must be met to qualify as an extensive renovation that triggers the enhanced accessibility requirements under section 3.8 of the Building Code. Building owners and tenants alike must review their renovation plans to determine whether the requirements under section 3.8 will apply.

I'm pretty confident that the engineers will be familiar with the AODA requirements and have determined that this unit is exempt.
May not be easy to see from the photo, but the shelves are starting to be stocked with food. Can't be too far from opening.

Looks rather posh.
(07-07-2021, 09:17 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Looks rather posh.

Even more so in person, the photo doesn't do it justice. The permit did say it was a million dollar reno.
That's a really tacky looking store. Definitely going to make a lot of money off yuppies willing to pay 5 dollars for a cucumber.

(07-08-2021, 09:41 AM)ac3r Wrote: That's a really tacky looking store. Definitely going to make a lot of money off yuppies willing to pay 5 dollars for a cucumber.

I think it looks great.  A store like that would likely thrive in Uptown, even with Vincenzo's.  I really hope residents support the store when it opens.  DTK needs stores like this.
I'm a food-basics kind of guy, but I'm happy the yuppies will have a place to pick up $12 swiss chard
(07-08-2021, 09:41 AM)ac3r Wrote: That's a really tacky looking store. Definitely going to make a lot of money off yuppies willing to pay 5 dollars for a cucumber.

I think they overdid it on the stone textures, but I don't know if I'd go as far as "really tacky". Their pricing in their Toronto locations isn't that crazy. Small independent grocery stores do have higher costs, but their pricing looks generally cheaper than Vincenzo's.
Time will tell whether DTK is ready for more upscale retail. I’m a “you get what you pay for” kind of consumer, but frugality is pretty engrained, especially wrt food. This place is taking quite a risk so I hope it works out for them. It will be interesting to see if they emphasize ready-to-eat foods that have higher margins and appeal to the younger, urban demographic.
(07-08-2021, 11:33 AM)taylortbb Wrote:

I think they overdid it on the stone textures, but I don't know if I'd go as far as "really tacky". Their pricing in their Toronto locations isn't that crazy. Small independent grocery stores do have higher costs, but their pricing looks generally cheaper than Vincenzo's.

I found that J&P was crazy expensive. Not only price on products relative to other stores, but also the product selection was focused strictly on the high end.

We'll see whether this is more reasonable.
(07-08-2021, 12:02 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I found that J&P was crazy expensive. Not only price on products relative to other stores, but also the product selection was focused strictly on the high end.

I agree on J&P, the items were expensive and they didn't have the selection. I really only went there for the occasional produce when I'd run out, but even then it often wasn't very fresh.

J&P was run by two people new to the grocery business though. Very different situation than an established company with existing supplier relationships and capital.

DTK has also changed a lot since those days, J&P wasn't that close to many residents with the income. Marche Leo's is right in the middle of 1 Victoria, City Centre, Charlie West, and Young Condos.

Wow that looks great! Can't wait to check it out. Anyone know what the scheduled opening date is?
Their Twitter feed seems to be @marcheleosmkt which has no posts. This is different from the Toronto store, which is @Marcheleos.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »