Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
After so many years, nice that the residents finally have a decent-looking entrance to their condo. Shame about the generic name, but perhaps they felt "Eaton Lofts" carried too much baggage, given the building's conversion history.

Time for a thread name change too I guess!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(11-24-2018, 10:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: After so many years, nice that the residents finally have a decent-looking entrance to their condo.  Shame about the generic name, but perhaps they felt "Eaton Lofts" carried too much baggage, given the building's conversion history.

Really shocked that the Heritage Committee folks didn't get involved in preventing the name change....ya know.

Personally I do prefer "Eaton Lofts" but I imagine at some point, no one is going to remember what Eaton's was.

I'm old enough to remember Woolco, Robinson's, K-Mart, Shoprite and Consumers Distributing (good times)...but I am sure I am leaving many out that ceased existence before I was around.
Thread title is wrong: a photo earlier in the thread shows the number is 276.
(11-25-2018, 01:35 AM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-24-2018, 10:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote: After so many years, nice that the residents finally have a decent-looking entrance to their condo.  Shame about the generic name, but perhaps they felt "Eaton Lofts" carried too much baggage, given the building's conversion history.

I'm old enough to remember Woolco, Robinson's, K-Mart, Shoprite and Consumers Distributing (good times)...but I am sure I am leaving many out that ceased existence before I was around.

I remember all but one of those.

Big-V as well.
(11-25-2018, 10:42 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Thread title is wrong: a photo earlier in the thread shows the number is 276.

Mea culpa!

Fixed now.
(11-25-2018, 01:35 AM)jeffster Wrote: I'm old enough to remember Woolco, Robinson's, K-Mart, Shoprite and Consumers Distributing (good times)...but I am sure I am leaving many out that ceased existence before I was around.

Bargain Harold's, BiWay, Dutch Boy, Miracle Mart... the list goes on.

I stumbled onto a photo of the building from roughly 60 years ago ...

Shame about the awning.
Nice looking lifts but if I recall, something like $800+ monthly maintenance...its an old building. But ouch
(11-11-2019, 01:53 AM)Momo26 Wrote: Nice looking lifts but if I recall, something like $800+ monthly maintenance...its an old building. But ouch

Would monthly costs not have come down after the resolution of the legal issues and the sale of the ground floor?  If not, that is indeed very expensive.
There is currently a unit for sale with a maintenance fee of $948.15.
(11-11-2019, 04:08 PM)creative Wrote: There is currently a unit for sale with a maintenance fee of $948.15.

That's a 1500+ sqft unit so I'll guess at a condo fee of $0.62/sqft or thereabouts. Excluding the reserve fund, I wouldn't expect the fees to be much more than half of that (no concierge or pool to maintain, for example) but it is a smaller building. But that would indicate somewhere around $0.30/sqft in reserve fund contributions, which is about 3x normal. Catching up from the lack of contributions and maintenance during the bankruptcy period, I expect.

On the other hand, you are only paying about $250/sqft for the unit ($375K asking price), easily 30-40% less than elsewhere. And at least based on the photos, it's quite a nice unit.

(11-11-2019, 04:08 PM)creative Wrote: There is currently a unit for sale with a maintenance fee of $948.15.
This buildings renovation was done very shoddy. They basically took a sledge hammer to the brick to punch openings for doors and windows. Water leakage problems everywhere. They are sections where they covered up the smashed bricks with giant peices of flashing. This has not stopped the birds from living in the door jambs. That maintenance fee seems completely reasonable for the amount of work that is need to fix this building. It is unfortunate because I is a great location, the units are quite big and it could have been a beautiful repurpose. Unfortunately the wrong contractor was hired for this building. Feel bad for the residents that bought into it.
There is a permit application 20-122716 for the ground floor retail space.

Quote:PERMIT IS FOR INTERIOR ALTERATIONS TO CREATE A GROCERY STORE ON THE GROUND FLOOR OF EATONS LOFTS - UNIT 1 - MARCHELEO'S MARKET PLACE

Looks like a high end grocer (like Vincenzo's) that has a few Toronto locations currently. It may not quite as good as getting a Loblaws, but if it's half decent I could not be happier as a DTK resident.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »