Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
I don't mind the brick facade, nor the black facade, but I don't think they go all that well together.

I guess we'll have to wait to see the final product, how they're tied together.

(07-31-2018, 02:11 PM)Tony_Plow Wrote: Would be nice if they would fix up the exterior of the upper floors as well - they look terrible.
Perhaps they should paint it all out dark grey and install glass balconies.

That would be up to the condo corporation. And I think they are still catching up from the builder's bankruptcy (especially based on the quite high condo fees) so an exterior refresh may not be on the cards quite yet.
(08-04-2018, 09:18 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I don't mind the brick facade, nor the black facade, but I don't think they go all that well together.

I guess we'll have to wait to see the final product, how they're tied together.

Black and grey cladding seems to be flavour of the month, but in this case a warm limestone would have looked better, imo.
The ground-floor retail space is just about ready for a new tenant. Maybe not my choice of colour scheme, but overall it definitely looks good. Hope they find a good tenant for this space soon.

The painted-over brick looks rather decent. I think they've salvaged what had been quite the mess.
The mystery of the new black cladding solved.  Is it possible, however, that DTK is starting to overdo the grey thing?
WOW. I really like what they've done with this. Very nice improvement.

I think the grey works very nicely overall and there's a lot of reasons it probably needed the new layer, but I love the yellow brick buildings scattered throughout the city, and this one was particularly nice because it was a bit mottled with reds. Even though I'm raising it I don't want to overstate the loss, it's quite minor and well worth it.
Is the brick just painted?
(10-09-2018, 10:48 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is the brick just painted?

I don't have the answer but I hope they stained it. It ages better and keeps some character. Paint just fades and flakes and looks like ass after a couple years. The stain will fade and the yellow just shows through more.
I haven't looked closely, but from across the street it strongly resembles a layer of paint. It's definitely not plaster, the bricks are visible underneath and there was no point where they plastered it all with the fake grout lines taped in. The workers were applying it with roller brushes of some sort.

It's definitely possible they've stained it, but it really looks like a thick exterior paint.
Eaton Lofts is now Lofts at 276.

Interesting, too bad, the Eatons name was kinda fun.

(11-23-2018, 05:02 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Interesting, too bad, the Eatons name was kinda fun.

It had some history. 271 is just the street number.
Too bad they dropped the Eaton's name, but also, damn that looks good
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »