Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
(Eaton) Lofts at 276
I wonder if a loading bay could somehow be built into the Water St side to improve the commercial viability of the first floor space?

(01-27-2016, 07:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if a loading bay could somehow be built into the Water St side to improve the commercial viability of the first floor space?

Would this door in the laneway not suit that purpose?
I assume that that is the entrance to the parking and not part of what has been purchased. I wonder how Eatons did it back in the day?
There has to be some sort of loading bay, does anyone remember the home furnishings store that was in the space for a while? I can't see them as having brought all that stuff in through the front door.

I recall being very surprised at just how much space there is in that building.
(01-28-2016, 12:23 AM)KevinL Wrote:
(01-27-2016, 07:05 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder if a loading bay could somehow be built into the Water St side to improve the commercial viability of the first floor space?

Would this door in the laneway not suit that purpose?

This back entrance and garage door have been the loading/unloading site for this building for 50+ years.
A supermarket here would be great, even if it were just one of the usual chain ones (Zehrs or something). With all the new residential stuff downtown it's much needed. Central is just a bit too far to walk to if you've got a few days groceries to carry home.
Too small for a Zehrs. Would fit Valu-mart well, or a small Sobeys; perhaps even the region's first Metro?

Second Metro. There was one on Franklin Boulevard until about a year ago.
Do any of the Lablaws brands run an urban format grocery store? I know Sobeys does.
They've tested a couple of different brands out west- CityMarket in B.C. and the Box (which is a discount format) in Calgary. The latter at least was 10,000 square feet when they piloted it. I have no idea if they have any plans for expansion; I think they were very initial pilots in both cases.
I wonder if Longos might consider moving in. They have an urban-sized store in a condo on Dundas West in Toronto.
I know that there's a 'Downtown Grocery Store' thread where it might be better to ask this question, but...is downtown Kitchener there yet? A grocery store chain taking a gamble on a smaller format (that's going against the longtime trend in their industry) in a condo on Dundas Street West is a bit different than taking a similar gamble in downtown Kitchener. I hope that we do before long see a grocery store in downtown proper, but I fear it might be a considerable wait.
What is the floor area of the Eaton Building? I was just in the Valu-mart at the Frederick Mall and they really manage to pack a lot into a pretty small space.

The original post in this thread says 20,000 square feet. That's not small for a Valu-Mart I don't think; I'm not sure what the Frederick Mall Valu-Mart's size is.
(02-07-2016, 09:17 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I know that there's a 'Downtown Grocery Store' thread where it might be better to ask this question, but...is downtown Kitchener there yet? A grocery store chain taking a gamble on a smaller format (that's going against the longtime trend in their industry) in a condo on Dundas Street West is a bit different than taking a similar gamble in downtown Kitchener. I hope that we do before long see a grocery store in downtown proper, but I fear it might be a considerable wait.

I'm sure others will argue against me, but I don't think they're there yet.  They're going to want to see a critical mass living within a walking distance, and it's just not there yet.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »