Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Light Rail Vehicles - LRT, ICTS, Monorail, and more
Trackless Train = Bus lol (Hi Phileas!)

CRRC has been desperate to market this thing for years.

Here's how Toronto de-ices their streetcar wires.
I’ve been in Medellin, Colombia for a few weeks now and have been using the Metro (wagons are so wide!) and MetroCable systems, but yesterday finally used the Tranvia (tramway). It is a Translohr system - overhead catenary, single track, and running on rubber tires.  It was new technology to me.  Interesting as well to see the system running along a busy pedestrianization street, with little or no separation between trains and street life.

Overall, a great transit system that has had a profound impact on the city and its culture.
That's awesome! Translohr is such an interesting system - Lohr and Siemens even collaborated on the Cityval system, a sort of hybrid or "NG" version of VAL using Lohr's central guidance rail technology. The launch customer is ligne b in Rennes (France).

MetroCable I think is the first urban installation of using a gondola for real "hardcore" rapid transit - I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Enjoy your trip!
The MetroCable is amazing and the impact on Medellin’s poorest neighbourhoods (along with other major “social architecture” projects) has been considerable. Bonus - the views are killer!
(02-24-2019, 09:47 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I’ve been in Medellin, Colombia for a few weeks now and have been using the Metro (wagons are so wide!) and MetroCable systems, but yesterday finally used the Tranvia (tramway). It is a Translohr system - overhead catenary, single track, and running on rubber tires.  It was new technology to me.  Interesting as well to see the system running along a busy pedestrianization street, with little or no separation between trains and street life.

Overall, a great transit system that has had a profound impact on the city and its culture.

Cool.  Not too many good videos of the Tranvia in the first few google search hits, this one has the most relevant footage but is strangely cropped or filmed off of another monitor or something:

Just search for Translohr; lots of videos from France (where most of the systems are), like some of the T ring-lines in Paris or Clermont-Ferrand. China and Italy have a few, too. Here is a good image of the guidance system.

Clermont-Ferrand is notable in that they have had at least one major derailment which resulted in a total loss of one of the trains when it impacted a retaining wall at speed!

There could not be a more perfect video for this thread!

I made a special trip to IAH once (true story) just to ride this. Husband was not impressed.
Bombardier to lay off half the 1,100 workers at Thunder Bay railway plant

https://www.nugget.ca/news/local-news/bo...lway-plant
If you are regretting not getting a last ride on the TTC's ALRV fleet, the Halton County Radial Railway has recently added #4204 to their fleet.

From their Facebook page (photos are there too):

Quote:We are pleased to announce the latest addition to our museum's collection: TTC Articulated Light Rail Vehicle #4204 from 1988!
The last of the ALRVs were retired on September 2nd of this year. You can see our newest artifact this weekend during the Halloween Spooktacular event! However, the ALRV will not be in service and the doors will be locked during this weekend.
Our museum relies on donations to restore and operate the streetcars in our collection. Please consider sending us a donation on our website.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »